The Student Room Group

What do I do with my life now?

So I've had my unconditional offer submitted and confirmed and what not. Have got my accommodation all sorted for when I start in September and everything, but what now?

I'm from Australia and so I have 8 months before I fly over to the UK for Uni and have no idea what to do with all this spare time! I can't really go traveling as I've just finished a gap year as I was supposed to start Uni in Australia next month, but accepted into my top preference for overseas (and had the parents blessings to do so!).

I do hope to maybe do a tiny bit more traveling, as well as a bit of work to earn some quick cash, but what else can I do in the next couple months!?
Original post by lsfarquharson
So I've had my unconditional offer submitted and confirmed and what not. Have got my accommodation all sorted for when I start in September and everything, but what now?

I'm from Australia and so I have 8 months before I fly over to the UK for Uni and have no idea what to do with all this spare time! I can't really go traveling as I've just finished a gap year as I was supposed to start Uni in Australia next month, but accepted into my top preference for overseas (and had the parents blessings to do so!).

I do hope to maybe do a tiny bit more traveling, as well as a bit of work to earn some quick cash, but what else can I do in the next couple months!?

1 You could get details on the course and do some prep.
2. help your parents as I assume they are going to help financially.
3. Earn money. It will give you freedom and options.

I would save your money for travel when you get to the UK as it could be once in a lifetime and it also puts Europe well within reach.

You could save up a reasonable amount in 8 months.
Original post by 999tigger
1 You could get details on the course and do some prep.
2. help your parents as I assume they are going to help financially.
3. Earn money. It will give you freedom and options.

I would save your money for travel when you get to the UK as it could be once in a lifetime and it also puts Europe well within reach.

You could save up a reasonable amount in 8 months.

Thanks for the reply tigger! I quite like the first idea - but not sure how I go across this. Would I have to do this independently or do you think there'd be someone I could contact to just get some more background prep.

As for helping parents out - they're actually recently retired so they have actually moved to a different state in Australia than where I live. Quite an interesting conundrum, haha!

I am obviously thinking of saving money - however you mention travelling around Europe, I worked in the UK at a Prep school in England so had summer holidays off last year where I travelled Europe (about 14 countries) and blew through an easy £4000 whilst doing so, which I don't regret!

I was thinking of maybe working five months or so, and trying to fit in a bit of travel around Asia before I leave, but all my Australian friends would be in uni and won't be able to travel and don't really want to solo travel Asia (although I did it in Europe and had plenty of fun!).
Original post by lsfarquharson
Thanks for the reply tigger! I quite like the first idea - but not sure how I go across this. Would I have to do this independently or do you think there'd be someone I could contact to just get some more background prep.

As for helping parents out - they're actually recently retired so they have actually moved to a different state in Australia than where I live. Quite an interesting conundrum, haha!

I am obviously thinking of saving money - however you mention travelling around Europe, I worked in the UK at a Prep school in England so had summer holidays off last year where I travelled Europe (about 14 countries) and blew through an easy £4000 whilst doing so, which I don't regret!

I was thinking of maybe working five months or so, and trying to fit in a bit of travel around Asia before I leave, but all my Australian friends would be in uni and won't be able to travel and don't really want to solo travel Asia (although I did it in Europe and had plenty of fun!).

Contact the course organiser/ department and just ask them for any tasks or reading you could be doing.

Honestly UI wouldnt worry and just be focused on saving money. it will make your uni experience better, unless ofc you already have plenty.
If you have already traveled round Europe then there will be all the events at uni and weekends away you can fund as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending