All Cambridge PhD Students!! How well does your stipend cover you? Watch

Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi Everyone,

I am due to start my PhD this October at Cambridge on the minimum stipend of £14777 tax free working out at about 1200 per month.

For those currently living and studying in Cambridge, how well does this cover you? Do you have a-lot to spare or is it difficult (assuming you don't go crazy and buy a new TV every payday...)!

Thanks
gutenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I finished my PhD at Cambridge just over a year ago, and lived on a similar stipend. I found I was able to live just fine: as you said, I couldn't go crazy, but I never struggled. I did however live in College-owned accommodation, which definitely helped keep the costs down compared with living in a private rental. I tended to mix cooking for myself with going to the College buttery, and while I did attend formal halls etc., I didn't do it all the time.
Cambridge usually has lots of different pots of money at both faculty and college level to help with costs such as attending conferences, research trips, and so forth, so that helps supplement the stipend at times when the costs might be higher.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by gutenberg)
I finished my PhD at Cambridge just over a year ago, and lived on a similar stipend. I found I was able to live just fine: as you said, I couldn't go crazy, but I never struggled. I did however live in College-owned accommodation, which definitely helped keep the costs down compared with living in a private rental. I tended to mix cooking for myself with going to the College buttery, and while I did attend formal halls etc., I didn't do it all the time.
Cambridge usually has lots of different pots of money at both faculty and college level to help with costs such as attending conferences, research trips, and so forth, so that helps supplement the stipend at times when the costs might be higher.
Great, thank you for your advice! sounds like it will be do-able. I sacrificed an offer for a higher paid one (18k tax free) at Cambridge for this one so I was just wondering. Seems like I'll do just fine!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
gutenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tenbuck)
Great, thank you for your advice! sounds like it will be do-able. I sacrificed an offer for a higher paid one (18k tax free) at Cambridge for this one so I was just wondering. Seems like I'll do just fine!
No worries. I think you should be fine, provided that you work out a budget and stick to it, and try to take advantage of things such as accommodation etc. if your college offers it, as it does often tend to be cheaper. Good luck with the programme!
chembabeforever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I lived there during my placement year, although Cambridge is quite an expensive town you'll be fine, definitely will be able to get by!! For reference, I got 20K (taxed), saved around £500/month on top of an expensive (about £45) gym membership, 'expensive' healthy food etc when I lived there. Well done on your PhD place
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.48%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.84%
Terrified (381)
22.22%
Meh (170)
9.91%
Confused (37)
2.16%