The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

All Cambridge PhD Students!! How well does your stipend cover you?

Hi Everyone,

I am due to start my PhD this October at Cambridge on the minimum stipend of £14777 tax free working out at about 1200 per month.

For those currently living and studying in Cambridge, how well does this cover you? Do you have a-lot to spare or is it difficult (assuming you don't go crazy and buy a new TV every payday...)!

Thanks
Original post by 1230409123
Hi Everyone,

I am due to start my PhD this October at Cambridge on the minimum stipend of £14777 tax free working out at about 1200 per month.

For those currently living and studying in Cambridge, how well does this cover you? Do you have a-lot to spare or is it difficult (assuming you don't go crazy and buy a new TV every payday...)!

Thanks

My impression is that it's not luxurious, but it is less tight than say undergraduate budgeting. PhDs tend to have a few more life costs, they are less reliant on very cheap College bars, going around in large student groups making their own entertainment. They have more individual costs for travel, and independent living etc. So it's good compared with UGs, but not as good as a graduate job will pay - but then they still qualify for all the student discounts around town.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest