greycorns
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiya, can anyone currently studying MFL at either Newcastle or Heriot-Watt give me an insight into the course, content, difficulty, enjoyability, etc? I think these will be my firm and insurance choices so would be nice to know-
sophiemuir3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello!

I am currently in my final year of studying Interpreting and Translating with French and Spanish at Heriot Watt University and I cannot recommend the course enough!

I started in September 2014 with my French at an Intermediate Level (having done Advanced Higher in my last year of high school) and my Spanish at Intensive Beginners Level (I didn’t even know my alphabet!). The course has been challenging but extremely rewarding. It has has greatly improved my language knowledge, communication skills and overall confidence. Throughout my 4 years of studying this course I have followed modules in (these are only what I have taken - there are more possible options):

- Simultaneous and consecutive interpreting
- Translation
- Linguistics
- Introduction to European History and Culture
- Introduction to Language and Intercultural Studies
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- International Politics and Organisations
- Critical Writing and Analysis
- Society and Institutions in Contemporary Europe
- Language electives (French, Spanish, German, Arabic, British Sign Language, Mandarin)
- Erasmus Third Year Abroad

All of these courses are taught by extremely passionate and enthusiastic experts in their fields. As well as this, the majority of these lecturers are native speakers of the languages that they teach. The teaching staff in the Languages and Intercultural Studies (LINCS) department at Heriot Watt are assets to the University as well as being the most supportive and caring group of teachers that I have ever had the pleasure to meet. The commitment and support they offer to their students is outstanding.

The interpreting facilities at Heriot Watt are phenomenal. The state of the art interpreting booths are modelled on those used by the United Nations and European Union. The Language Labs have been recently refurbished and are the biggest owned by any Higher Education Institute in Europe.

Student life at Heriot Watt is also lively with lots of welcoming and diverse societies to join including a Languages Society!

I cannot recommend Heriot Watt University enough and I would be happy to answer any further questions you may have. Good luck with your applications!
peaaceandl0ve
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I study German (& Business & Dutch) at Newcastle!

Student life in Newcastle is excellent, as the SU has endless opportunities (last year I was Treasurer of Baking Society & a writer for the student newspaper), and the city is wonderful. It is cheap, friendly and ultimately very homely.

The course is good too, the lecturers are incredibly passionate and really love spreading their passion for languages. Module-wise, however, it depends on which specific languages you are studying & from which level.

Do you have any more specific questions?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate