The Student Room Group

GCSE religious studies or geography?

Hi , I'm picking my options for my gcse but i dont which one to pick rs or geo
and I wanted to know people's opinion on wether it was interesting, if you've regretted taking any of them, wether they were easy or hard.
(pros+ cons will be helpful and im thinking to study medicine/become a doctor or GP)
I personally enjoyed RS much more than geography, and I also found it much easier. If you are interested in becoming a doctor, then I personally would recommend RS because medical ethics is an increasingly important field, particularly if you ever do any research, and even just dealing with patients generally. Hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by error405
Hi , I'm picking my options for my gcse but i dont which one to pick rs or geo
and I wanted to know people's opinion on wether it was interesting, if you've regretted taking any of them, wether they were easy or hard.
(pros+ cons will be helpful and im thinking to study medicine/become a doctor or GP)

Geography.
Others may be bio-chemistry, micro-biology, physiology, chemistry.
Love both and I am doing the two for A Level! RS talks about ethics, and our specification had a module on medical ethics which could be relevant for your future career. However, geo is classed as a science subject! And you’re learning about other cultures, and issues relevant to the current nhs problems, such as our ever expanding and ageing population! My advice would be to look into which modules you would be doing in RS :smile:
Reply 4
RS is really interesting if your into that kind of thing, personally its a lot of work and quite a bit to remember, but I find the exams quite easy and the work load manageable... I did geography for a year and then switched to history because I didn't enjoy the subject any longer, but its up to you and what you want to do :smile:
I did both at GCSE and enjoyed both but I did enjoy RS more than geography. I found geography harder than RS.

RS
+Essay based, clear structure of answering so was clear how to get marks
+100% Interesting content
+Not as much to learn as some other subjects such as history (in my opinion)
+Useful knowledge of ethics which can be applied to most things, especially medicine like you

Geography
+Mainly interesting content
+Applicable knowledge for the world e.g. maps etc
-some topics dragged on for a while which got boring
So a levels
RS is quite a bit easier in comparison to Geography but still considered a "good" subject. It's also really interesting. Also, if get to choose the religion, choose Christianity and Islam, as there seems to be more resources available for those religions. I personally found Geography boring but I know many people who really like it (although, at GCSE, most of my friends preferred RS over Geography as it was easier and lessons were more fun in general as you we got to talk about and debate many issues and current news etc)

I always recommend RS to anyone (aLso lets you examine other people's views which I think is important) but take geography only if you really really like I, or else it will be a chore (anecdotal evidence from my friends)

Quick Reply

Latest