The Student Room Group

Why is there snow on top of mountains?

Hi,

Why is there snow on the mountains even though the clouds are below the top?

I’m just wondering

Thank-you :smile:
There are loads of different layers of clouds at different heights.

The lower layers might not be as high as the mountain, but there will always be higher layers of cloud that are miles further up.
Original post by LeapingLucy

The lower layers might not be as high as the mountain, but there will always be higher layers of cloud that are miles further up.

Oh okay thank-you! I know it’s a silly question but...
Reply 3
Pixies put it there.
So people can ski.

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SophieMay16
Oh okay thank-you! I know it’s a silly question but...

It's not a silly question at all.

It's all about changing weather conditions.

Weather systems bring rain and snow, clouds can easily reach much higher than the mountains when that happens. As the warmer moist air, picked up by evaporation from the seas, is forced to rise over the top of the mountains, clouds form and the moisture falls as rain/sleet/snow.

But the weather systems don't last forever and when they pass through, the air left behind is often much colder with very little moisture so brilliant sunshine at the mountain tops. Lower down the mountain where it's warmer, the snow melts and evaporation once again occurs. But the air temperature and pressure has changed. Clouds may form lower down like fog in valleys.

Under these conditions, the tops of the mountains can be in bright sunlight, while the valleys are covered in mist and clouds. :smile:
Original post by LeapingLucy

Okay, thank-you for your help! I was just curious hahah
Original post by gjd800
Pixies put it there.

Hahah, I’m sure they do!
Original post by uberteknik
So people can ski.

That’s such a lovely picture!
Original post by uberteknik
It's not a silly question at all.

It's all about changing weather conditions.

Weather systems bring rain and snow, clouds can easily reach much higher than the mountains when that happens. As the warmer moist air, picked up by evaporation from the seas, is forced to rise over the top of the mountains, clouds form and the moisture falls as rain/sleet/snow.

But the weather systems don't last forever and when they pass through, the air left behind is often much colder with very little moisture so brilliant sunshine at the mountain tops. Lower down the mountain where it's warmer, the snow melts and evaporation once again occurs. But the air temperature and pressure has changed. Clouds may form lower down like fog in valleys.

Under these conditions, the tops of the mountains can be in bright sunlight, while the valleys are covered in mist and clouds. :smile:

Okay, thank-you so much for taking the time to answer me, I really appreciate it :smile: and that’s such a detailed explanation!

Quick Reply

Latest