The Student Room Group

Transferring Universities With Extremely Bad A-Level Results

(edited 4 years ago)
You can definitely transfer to a "better" university.

Maybe not an "elite" uni though.

Make sure you complete the year on a first too
Original post by Roanna
Hello, after scavenging through the internet for what seems like hours, I have decided that perhaps my questions may be answered directly in The Student Room.

Last year I managed to get myself on an LLB Law course with a foundation year, this was after I found out that the university place that I was offered was considered to be a private course and I would have to pay for this course directly. I knew nothing about the university I was about to attend (Staffordshire University) and I only found out I was going to this university the SAME week I was required to move in. I never had the opportunity to look around the university and the area it is situated in, I never got to attend open days etc. I never got to fall in love and want to attend the uni, it was just a last resort to get into university.

I finished my A-levels with less than satisfactory grades ranging from a D at highest if I can recall.

With that in mind, I was determined not to fail myself again and I put in applied myself to all of the learning that was required, I managed to get a 1st, I am now halfway through my first year at Staffordshire (because this uni only has 2 semesters for Law) and it has come to my attention that I no longer want to study at this university.

I am currently expected to receive another 1st after the completion of first year (Level 4)

I have come to the realisation the only reason why I stayed was because of the friends I have made here. The only reason why I now get out of bed and go to lectures is to see my friends, the enthusiasm for striving to become better has vanished and I believe that is because I feel like I have reached my full potential at Staffordshire University, and I want to strive to do better at a better university.

Not only that, the area around Staffordshire University is ... not the best? I've been harassed numerous times, there was a murder on my street 2 months ago and bountiful amounts of assault and burglary that occur daily.

I was looking for advice on what people with experience of transferring universities or people that have experience with the subject matter think about my current situation and whether or not I would have the potential to transfer universities?

So far reading all of the original forms on The Student Room it doesn't sound too optimistic.

There is a stickied thread at the top of this section with lots of info about transferring unis. As it is past the equal consideration deadline you should contact unis directly to see if they would consider your application for a transfer before starting the application process.

One slight complicating factor is that for qualifying law degrees you have to study certain subjects. So some unis might not let you transfer if it means you miss a topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, it's weird reading this as well because I'm at Staffs as well and I have the exact same opinion. I wasn't able to get an application through to different unis because of the lack of A-level maths and having gotten a 1at in almost all of my assignments so far i don't feel like it's been a challenge (without sounding too far up my own ass). It's because of this that I've been looking at a transfer and prior to getting to Stoke I spoke to some representatives from other unis and they mentioned that as long as most of the modules from the first year match up then it's possible to try for a transfer however I do think as if it would have to be done on a special basis. E.g.ringing them up and having some proof of your grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending