How to get first degree? What marks do I need? Watch

Sadieleigh95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My overall degree is weighted by 80% third year and 20% second year.

Due to illness I achieved 57 in second year. I have roughly estimated that this will make up around 10 marks towards my overall degree. I think this means I need 60 marks from third year to get 70 overall.

70 = first and 60 = 2.1

I have guessed that this year I need to get 75+ in all 4 modules (20 credits each) and 75+ in my dissertation (40 modules). This is assuming my dissertation will be 60% of the 80% and the modules will be 20% of the 80%.

So far this year I am on target for these grades. I got 78 in my oral assessment for my dissertation and after showing plans and snippets of my work to my tutors they have said I am on track for firsts. But a first isn't good enough, I NEED at least 75.

Firstly, are these rough calculations correct?

Secondly, does anybody know how much my dissertation is weighted towards my overall grade? I'm studying psychology at Huddersfield uni but at the Oldham campus.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
dsmith23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need an average mark of 73.25% in 3rd year to bring your overall grade up to 70% with a weighting of 80:20% (3rd:2nd year). Realistically you can achieve this in any manner you like; scoring highly in the dissertation will obviously do you no harm. Aiming for 75s is not a bad idea. You should also check to see if your university has a policy of allowing students to obtain a First if they just slightly miss out on a 70% overall grade, and what the criteria for that are - most unis do I believe.

Sorry I cannot answer the final question as I attend a different university.
Sadieleigh95
Rep:
?
(Original post by dsmith23)
You need an average mark of 73.25% in 3rd year to bring your overall grade up to 70% with a weighting of 80:20% (3rd:2nd year). Realistically you can achieve this in any manner you like; scoring highly in the dissertation will obviously do you no harm. Aiming for 75s is not a bad idea. You should also check to see if your university has a policy of allowing students to obtain a First if they just slightly miss out on a 70% overall grade, and what the criteria for that are - most unis do I believe.

Sorry I cannot answer the final question as I attend a different university.
Thank you so much for replying!
So do you think that I am roughly correct that I need to achieve 75 overall in 3rd year in order to pull up second year grade and level out as around 71?

What about if my 3rd year weighting is 40:40 for the dissertation and the modules? Would this still mean I need 75 in everything?
dsmith23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you averaged 75% in 3rd year you end up with an overall 71.4%, which I suspect your uni would round down to 71% - not that it matters as that's a First.

The weighting of the dissertation compared to the other modules doesn't change anything; if you achieved 75% in every single module including dissertation you'd end up with 71.4% no matter how it's weighted. For what it's worth, you stated your dissertation is worth 40 credits and that your other 4 modules (20 credits each) are therefore worth 80 credits (one year of a degree is 120 credits). This means your dissertation contributes 1/3 of the marks towards your 3rd year total.
Sadieleigh95
Rep:
?
If you averaged 75% in 3rd year you end up with an overall 71.4%, which I suspect your uni would round down to 71% - not that it matters as that's a First.

The weighting of the dissertation compared to the other modules doesn't change anything; if you achieved 75% in every single module including dissertation you'd end up with 71.4% no matter how it's weighted. For what it's worth, you stated your dissertation is worth 40 credits and that your other 4 modules (20 credits each) are therefore worth 80 credits (one year of a degree is 120 credits).
Thank you so much for your detailed replies!

Without sounding thick, does that mean that my modules (80 credits) will weigh more than my dissertation (40 credits)?
Meaning out of the 80% will the modules weigh more than the dissertation? So let's say I got 80 in all 4 modules, would I have the flexibility to get around 65 in the dissertation and still get a first overall?

Sorry and thank you I really thought I would get sarcastic replies when people read that I got a 2.2 and wanted a first but I was off sick
dsmith23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sadieleigh95)
Thank you so much for your detailed replies!

Without sounding thick, does that mean that my modules (80 credits) will weigh more than my dissertation (40 credits)?
Meaning out of the 80% will the modules weigh more than the dissertation? So let's say I got 80 in all 4 modules, would I have the flexibility to get around 65 in the dissertation and still get a first overall?

Sorry and thank you I really thought I would get sarcastic replies when people read that I got a 2.2 and wanted a first but I was off sick
Pretty much, yeah. If you achieved 80% in each one of your 20 credits modules, but achieved only 65% in your dissertation you would have a 3rd year average of exactly 75% - which as I stated in a previous post would be enough to give you a first overall.
Sadieleigh95
Rep:
?
Pretty much, yeah. If you achieved 80% in each one of your 20 credits modules, but achieved only 65% in your dissertation you would have a 3rd year average of exactly 75% - which as I stated in a previous post would be enough to give you a first overall.
I'm baffled because I've heard classmates saying that the dissertation is 80% of the degree whereas looking at the module credits it looks like the modules weigh more. I'm glad really because I'm confident in the modules whereas I'm worried about my dissertation.
Thank you !
dsmith23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm baffled because I've heard classmates saying that the dissertation is 80% of the degree whereas looking at the module credits it looks like the modules weigh more. I'm glad really because I'm confident in the modules whereas I'm worried about my dissertation.
Thank you !
For future reference, you can work out what any combination of grades will give you at the end of the year so long as you know how many credits the module is worth. For the 80/80/80/80/65 example, we'd do:

20*0.8 = 16
20*0.8 = 16
20*0.8 = 16
20*0.8 = 16
40*0.65 = 26

Then add up all of those results, which in this case gives 90.

Then, because there are 120 credits worth of grades we've just worked out, we simply do 90/120 which gives 0.75, then multiply by 100 to get the percentage which is 75.

As your module grades come in throughout the year plug the numbers in and see how you're doing and mess about with the grades you still need to complete to see roughly what grades would give you what outcome for your 3rd year.
Sadieleigh95
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!
I was sat for an hour last night trying to figure out numbers and stuff.

So using your formula,

Let's say I got

78 (40 credits) = 31
65 (20) = 13
70 (20) = 14
75 (20) = 15
80 (20) = 16

Total - 83 (I think lmao)
83 / 120 = 69 = 1 mark off a first

So,

2nd year (20%) = 57 / 100 x 20 = 11.4
3rd year (80%) = 69 / 100 x 80 = 55.2

55.2 + 11.4 = 66

So if I were to get the above grades I'd get a 2.1 overall?

But the next problem is that we drop our lowest module. So in this instance I'd drop the 65 so the total credits would then be 100?

So it would be 70 / 100 = 70 for 3rd year

70 / 100 x 80 = 64
64 + 11 = 75

Can't believe I've actually just done that lmao I'm so bad at maths
dsmith23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much!
I was sat for an hour last night trying to figure out numbers and stuff.

So using your formula,

Let's say I got

78 (40 credits) = 31
65 (20) = 13
70 (20) = 14
75 (20) = 15
80 (20) = 16

Total - 83 (I think lmao)
83 / 120 = 69 = 1 mark off a first
Unfortunately there's a small arithmetic error here - Total should be 89. Which when you run the numbers gives you a 3rd year average of 74.2%, which when weighted with the 2nd year grade gives you 70.76% - so just about a first.

With regards to dropping modules I really wouldn't want to say anything that could be misleading - you'd really have to ask your course leader how that works and what their policy is (or see if it's in a handbook somewhere).
Sadieleigh95
Rep:
?
Unfortunately there's a small arithmetic error here - Total should be 89. Which when you run the numbers gives you a 3rd year average of 74.2%, which when weighted with the 2nd year grade gives you 70.76% - so just about a first.

With regards to dropping modules I really wouldn't want to say anything that could be misleading - you'd really have to ask your course leader how that works and what their policy is (or see if it's in a handbook somewhere).
Well we cant all be mathematical geniuses can we?

Thanks for all your help I'm really grateful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.65%
No I am happy with my course choice (521)
59.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.45%

Watched Threads