The Student Room Group

Not taking Further Maths but want to get into LSE for Economics..

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could enter London School of Economics without Further Math as a subject. I’m taking Physics, Economics, Mathematics and History for A Levels. I just received my IGCSE results recently for Oct/Nov. session and got the following: 3A* 5A 2B.

Here’s why I can’t take F.M: my high school didn’t allow me to take Additional Math as a subject because I flunked an “entrance test” (my batch was the first to be put under this policy) and hence I couldn’t take it as subject for IGCSE’s. Now, in college, I’m not allowed to take Further Math since I don’t have an A for Additional Math (don’t meet the requirements). I’m substituting FM with Physics.

I want to pursue Economics as my course but I’m kind of worried LSE would reject me.

Do I still stand a chance of getting into LSE with my IGCSE grades and my A Level subjects?

Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
no further maths
mediocre gcses
if you flunk tests why do you think youd be able to cope with economics at degree level? a million times harder than school
Reply 2
Because unlike you, my belief is that my past grades don’t determine how I will be in the future.

My senior got into LSE with only 3 and 1/2 A Levels without Further Math. And secondly, if you think that GCSE’s is the same with IGCSE’s then you’re dead wrong. IGCSE are far harder than your GCSE’s.

My college is a reputable institution within my home country and 20% of alumni are Oxbridge students. I’ve consulted my uni relations advisor who has been working in my college for the past 2 decades and she never talked the way you did. And the very fact that she worked there giving advice to students who went to LSE and Oxbridge tells me the disparity of your experience and hers, as well as the reliability of your advice and hers.

Thanks for your “credible” insight and also, you’ve only just fueled my motivation to go there.
Original post by seacolumbus
Because unlike you, my belief is that my past grades don’t determine how I will be in the future.

My senior got into LSE with only 3 and 1/2 A Levels without Further Math. And secondly, if you think that GCSE’s is the same with IGCSE’s then you’re dead wrong. IGCSE are far harder than your GCSE’s.

My college is a reputable institution within my home country and 20% of alumni are Oxbridge students. I’ve consulted my uni relations advisor who has been working in my college for the past 2 decades and she never talked the way you did. And the very fact that she worked there giving advice to students who went to LSE and Oxbridge tells me the disparity of your experience and hers, as well as the reliability of your advice and hers.

Thanks for your “credible” insight and also, you’ve only just fueled my motivation to go there.

Ooooooooooohhhhh. Would you like some Aloe Vera? Cause you just got burned!
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could enter London School of Economics without Further Math as a subject. I’m taking Physics, Economics, Mathematics and History for A Levels. I just received my IGCSE results recently for Oct/Nov. session and got the following: 3A* 5A 2B.

Here’s why I can’t take F.M: my high school didn’t allow me to take Additional Math as a subject because I flunked an “entrance test” (my batch was the first to be put under this policy) and hence I couldn’t take it as subject for IGCSE’s. Now, in college, I’m not allowed to take Further Math since I don’t have an A for Additional Math (don’t meet the requirements). I’m substituting FM with Physics.

I want to pursue Economics as my course but I’m kind of worried LSE would reject me.

Do I still stand a chance of getting into LSE with my IGCSE grades and my A Level subjects?

Thanks.

Sure, as long as your A Level Grades are high, you have a chance. Looking at their entry requirements, you don’t really need further maths, only the standard maths A level.

If you have any other concerns, you can email the university. They’d be a great help.
Hey guys,

Thanks.

Yes, but note a couple of things. You will need to have very high predicted grades, showing your improvement, and including an A* in Maths. And LSE give a great deal of weight to your personal statement. They give very good advice on what it should contain here:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Completing-the-UCAS-form/Personal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi guys, I thought I might give an update to my UCAS application. I changed my course preference to BSC Economic History instead at LSE, and recently I got my offer. Along with this, I got King’s, Durham, Manchester and Glasgow. My predicted grades are A*A*A (no Further Math).

Moral of the story : Never let anybody define you, in the past, present, or the future. You will never know how you will be, so make the most out of now and pursue your dreams.

Thank you for reading.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi guys, I thought I might give an update to my UCAS application. I changed my course preference to BSC Economic History instead at LSE, and recently I got my offer. Along with this, I got King’s, Durham, Manchester and Glasgow. My predicted grades are A*A*A (no Further Math).

Moral of the story : Never let anybody define you, in the past, present, or the future. You will never know how you will be, so make the most out of now and pursue your dreams.

To A Rolling Stone, I don’t know what you were thinking when you replied to my question, but I hope you have a nice day that people are not defined by their previous grades.

Thank you for reading.

congrats on your offer.

i, however am vindicated by your choice to switch from Economics which you would not have coped well with. so we both win
Congratulations :smile: however may i ask if you would have got into economics instead at lse? i am looking to not take further maths at a level aswell

Latest

Trending

Trending