maths help- calculus

The question is In = int(x^n e^-x^2) and to show that
In=(n-1)/2 In-2

I tried to do parts but I cant integrate e^-x^2
Original post by bruh2132
The question is In = int(x^n e^-x^2) and to show that
In=(n-1)/2 In-2

I tried to do parts but I cant integrate e^-x^2

Splitting the integrand as xnx^n and ex2e^{-x^2} won't work.

You need a different split. Think about the derivative of ex2e^{-x^2} and see if that suggests a different split.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Splitting the integrand as xnx^n and ex2e^{-x^2} won't work.

You need a different split. Think about the derivative of ex2e^{-x^2} and see if that suggests a different split.

I can't seem to do it I tried splitting it like x^n-1 and xe^-x^2 but cant get anywhere
I can't seem to do it I tried splitting it like x^n-1 and xe^-x^2 but cant get anywhere

That's the correct split.

So In=(xn1)(xex2)  dx\displaystyle I_n = \int \left(x^{n-1}\right)\left(xe^{-x^2}\right)\;dx

=(xn1)ddx(12ex2)  dx\displaystyle =\int \left(x^{n-1}\right)\frac{d}{dx}\left(-\frac{1}{2}e^{-x^2}\right)\;dx

Can you take it from there? If not, what's the issue?
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
That's the correct split.

So In=(xn1)(xex2)  dx\displaystyle I_n = \int \left(x^{n-1}\right)\left(xe^{-x^2}\right)\;dx

=(xn1)ddx(12ex2)  dx\displaystyle =\int \left(x^{n-1}\right)\frac{d}{dx}\left(-\frac{1}{2}e^{-x^2}\right)\;dx

Can you take it from there? If not, what's the issue?

Thanks, I also forgot to add that the limits are infinity to 0, does that mean that the first term of the integral disappears; the limits to infinity of it is 0 and when 0 is plugged in its 0 too?
Thanks a lot btw
Thanks, I also forgot to add that the limits are infinity to 0, does that mean that the first term of the integral disappears; the limits to infinity of it is 0 and when 0 is plugged in its 0 too?
Thanks a lot btw

If you mean the [uv]0\displaystyle [uv]_0^\infty part, yes, that will come out to zero.

The zero at the bottom is obvious.

At infinity. As you go to infinity, ex2e^{x^2} goes to infinity faster than any polynomial, so xn1ex2x^{n-1}e^{-x^2} will go to zero as x tends to infinity.

Quick Reply

Latest