The Student Room Group

GCSE Function Graph Difficulty

4B140CD7-8153-4798-A506-488CC1F1DA16.jpg.jpeg

I haven’t a clue what to do or where to start, any help/guidance/pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
What have you been told about the relationship between y=f(x) and y=-f(x)?
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
What have you been told about the relationship between y=f(x) and y=-f(x)?

We haven’t covered these types of functions in our class before, only f(x) and f^-1(x) and other variations such as ff(x) etc
Will it be some sort of reflection of the previous graph?
I don't think this question is particularly useful to solve if you don't know the theory behind it. Have a look at https://www.mathsisfun.com/sets/function-transformations.html and go through all the transformations. These will help you understand this question better and then if you need some more explanation, we can do that.
Original post by Y11_Maths
Will it be some sort of reflection of the previous graph?

Yes you are right. All you are doing is multiplying each y value by -1 which makes this a reflection in the x-axis.
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
I don't think this question is particularly useful to solve if you don't know the theory behind it. Have a look at https://www.mathsisfun.com/sets/function-transformations.html and go through all the transformations. These will help you understand this question better and then if you need some more explanation, we can do that.

Ok I will check this out thanks
02817FF1-FD77-4E20-9A8A-E13186906302.jpg.jpeg
My friend did this, is he correct?
The simplest approach would to sketch f(x) knowing you have 2f(x-1) and then sketching the required transformation.
Original post by thekidwhogames
The simplest approach would to sketch f(x) knowing you have 2f(x-1) and then sketching the required transformation.

Sorry but I literally have no clue, we’ve never been taught this, this is the first time I’ve seen this so I am not very familiar on the topic. I don’t know what f(x) looks like
you need to work backwards to f(x) then forwards to -f(-x)
Original post by the bear
you need to work backwards to f(x) then forwards to -f(-x)

Like I’ve said I haven’t got a clue how to do any of this :/
Original post by Y11_Maths
Sorry but I literally have no clue, we’ve never been taught this, this is the first time I’ve seen this so I am not very familiar on the topic. I don’t know what f(x) looks like

Watch some videos on transformations to learn the theory then attempt it.
Original post by thekidwhogames
Watch some videos on transformations to learn the theory then attempt it.

Ok I will do it when I get home
4AE4A3AA-3F74-4769-A9CF-E8A86B8ADEBC.jpg.jpeg
Is this correct does anyone know?

Quick Reply

Latest