The Student Room Group

Uni choices dilema

OK so I now have all my university offers so I'm in a place to make a decision. I know i still have ages till the official dead line but I'm really stuck on what to do.
I am planning to be studying psychology at uni in 2018 (with a placement year).
So basically originally Bath was always my ultimate first choice, just because how good it's ranked to be for psych and the course itself , and it's literally always been my dream. I really liked the campus and everything but I wasn't 100% on a lot of the accommodation and it's prices compared to other unis I looked at.
On the other hand I kind of accidentally stumbled on Loughborough BUT REALLY REALLY loved all the campus, accommodation course and everything.
So my offer from Bath is A*AA and Loughobourgh is AAB so obviously a lot would just say to firm Bath and insurance Loughborough. Like i get the whole point of the insurance is if i don't meet Baths requirements but i don't want to be in the position (that my friend was in last year) where he missed his firm but got into his insurance- but there wasnt any campus accomidation left for him.
So is it worth just playing is safe and going for loughborough as my firm (so providing i get the grades) I will defo have campus accomidation?
Original post by OlaPaw
OK so I now have all my university offers so I'm in a place to make a decision. I know i still have ages till the official dead line but I'm really stuck on what to do.
I am planning to be studying psychology at uni in 2018 (with a placement year).
So basically originally Bath was always my ultimate first choice, just because how good it's ranked to be for psych and the course itself , and it's literally always been my dream. I really liked the campus and everything but I wasn't 100% on a lot of the accommodation and it's prices compared to other unis I looked at.
On the other hand I kind of accidentally stumbled on Loughborough BUT REALLY REALLY loved all the campus, accommodation course and everything.
So my offer from Bath is A*AA and Loughobourgh is AAB so obviously a lot would just say to firm Bath and insurance Loughborough. Like i get the whole point of the insurance is if i don't meet Baths requirements but i don't want to be in the position (that my friend was in last year) where he missed his firm but got into his insurance- but there wasnt any campus accomidation left for him.
So is it worth just playing is safe and going for loughborough as my firm (so providing i get the grades) I will defo have campus accomidation?

Hi OlaPaw

It's a really tough decision. You're right, if Lboro are your insurance choice, we don't guarantee university halls accommodation but we do say:

"If you choose us as your insurance choice or have a late application, halls accommodation is not guaranteed, however we promise to help you secure University allocated accommodation either on campus or by referral to an off campus approved provider."

So there is a fair chance you'd still get accommodation on campus and would be put on a wait list if not - spaces do come up for various reasons.
If you do get off campus accommodation - you would be affiliated to a hall so that you get the same benefits of people staying in halls.

I'd love to say - yeah firm Loughborough - but hall accommodation is only for 1 year at the end of the day- so might be worth focusing on which uni gives you the course that suits your career aspirations too.

It's really tricky I know, as you've got a long time to decide it might be worth visiting both again close together if you can - might help you make your mind up one way or the other.

Congrats on your offers by the way! :smile:
If you've got any more questions, just ask - always happy to help.
Vicky
Reply 2
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi OlaPaw

It's a really tough decision. You're right, if Lboro are your insurance choice, we don't guarantee university halls accommodation but we do say:

"If you choose us as your insurance choice or have a late application, halls accommodation is not guaranteed, however we promise to help you secure University allocated accommodation either on campus or by referral to an off campus approved provider."

So there is a fair chance you'd still get accommodation on campus and would be put on a wait list if not - spaces do come up for various reasons.
If you do get off campus accommodation - you would be affiliated to a hall so that you get the same benefits of people staying in halls.

I'd love to say - yeah firm Loughborough - but hall accommodation is only for 1 year at the end of the day- so might be worth focusing on which uni gives you the course that suits your career aspirations too.

It's really tricky I know, as you've got a long time to decide it might be worth visiting both again close together if you can - might help you make your mind up one way or the other.

Vicky

Thank you! I have one more question regarding accommodation at Loughborough. If I do end up putting it as my insurance, and then get into Loughborough rather than my firm but there is no campus accommodation left is it possible to defer my entry to next year? I know accommodation isn't the most important aspect of uni but I think I would much rather be in halls to get the full uni experience you know :smile:
Original post by OlaPaw
Thank you! I have one more question regarding accommodation at Loughborough. If I do end up putting it as my insurance, and then get into Loughborough rather than my firm but there is no campus accommodation left is it possible to defer my entry to next year? I know accommodation isn't the most important aspect of uni but I think I would much rather be in halls to get the full uni experience you know :smile:

Hi OlaPaw

It is possible to defer for a year yes.
If you did come in through insurance, it would be worth getting in touch with accommodation straight away and see what they can sort out for you - might all work out OK.

Vicky
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi OlaPaw

Vicky

What a really helpful response :smile:

Many unis would just say 'Come to us!' and it is refreshing to read your post.

Quick Reply

Latest