The Student Room Group

Should I take Mathematics A-level?

I currently have two places offered to attend well-regarded private sixth forms, where the norm is taking 4 A-levels.
My current choices are Biology, Chemistry, History, and English Literature. This choice allows me to keep my options open, and to still enjoy a variety of disciplines. My aims for university are either, should I follow the sciences route, Biological Sciences at Imperial or Oxford or Veterinary Science at RVC or Bristol, or down the non-science route courses such as Law (Jurisprudence) at Oxford are of great interest.
However, I have been told many times that I should swap out either History or English Literature for Mathematics since it would (a) make the mathematical elements of the A-levels and degree (if science) much easier, and (b) only be possible to get into Oxford or Imperial for a science course with 3 sciences/maths (not sure how true this is, their websites don't claim this, but obviously they are very competitive). On the other hand, many others have told me that taking my current choice would show a broader skill set and portray me as a well-rounded person.
The thing is, while I am capable in Maths (predicted a grade 9 IGCSE), I wouldn't say I have a passion for it at all, and I've been told time and time again that you must be passionate about your A-level subjects in order to succeed amongst the increased workload.
Any advice on similar experiences, and how different/more difficult A-level maths is compared to GCSE maths would be very helpful, and also on how large the A-level maths workload is.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest