The Student Room Group

trying to start my own clothing business

trying to start my own clothing business code name atrawknots
kind of need some help with it

Scroll to see replies

What do you need help with?
so this is the product prototype based off of this but i need help getting off the ground i have invested in some machines which i will be uploading images of soon.
(edited 6 years ago)
So basically I need help with getting it not there, getting it off the ground
Reply 7
Original post by ednut
So basically I need help with getting it not there, getting it off the ground

At least get some designs done to show off if you want to start it. You can start by putting them up on eBay or something and marketing them on your social media pages.
the wasp is a strong image.
Also need to make a complete product prototype with the brand name typography at the front and design shown there on the back
Using my relatively limited knowledge here...

firstly blanks..... you'll need relatively high quality blanks, I would recommend Gildan or if you just want to make prototypes (just for display/ modelling) you can buy blanks from most supermarkets

Secondly labels... labels help define your brands image and sell the product (look at bape for example) find a good supplier (some will offer you samples)

Social media is becoming an increasingly relevant marketing tool.... it's a bit of a gamble but try sending some of your prototypes out to big youtubers (although not to the ones that don't plug merch like Idubbz), I would recommend a bit of research first..... (or give some to friends that are particularly active on social media. set up social media pages for your brand.... (if you want, it might get you more exposure) but carefully consider any actions like this as you don't want negative exposure....

you really need to think about your target market/ audience. who are you selling to? how much will you produce? (this will influence how your social media is run)

think about different production models... do you only release a limited amount or keep making a design as long as it sells? do you change designs each season or keep designs consistent? are your products made to order?

Pm me if you want any help......
Original post by Dodo0099
Using my relatively limited knowledge here...

firstly blanks..... you'll need relatively high quality blanks, I would recommend Gildan or if you just want to make prototypes (just for display/ modelling) you can buy blanks from most supermarkets

Secondly labels... labels help define your brands image and sell the product (look at bape for example) find a good supplier (some will offer you samples)

Social media is becoming an increasingly relevant marketing tool.... it's a bit of a gamble but try sending some of your prototypes out to big youtubers (although not to the ones that don't plug merch like Idubbz), I would recommend a bit of research first..... (or give some to friends that are particularly active on social media. set up social media pages for your brand.... (if you want, it might get you more exposure) but carefully consider any actions like this as you don't want negative exposure....

you really need to think about your target market/ audience. who are you selling to? how much will you produce? (this will influence how your social media is run)

think about different production models... do you only release a limited amount or keep making a design as long as it sells? do you change designs each season or keep designs consistent? are your products made to order?

Pm me if you want any help......

I’ve already tried experimenting with Gildan but need a little bit more funding to try and realise my vision
As for social networks don’t really use that much.
Like Dodo0099 says, social media is a great idea to publicise your business (I would recommend Facebook or Instagram). A big step of making a successful business is promotion. You can have the best clothing but if no one knows about it, no one will buy it.
Original post by ednut
trying to start my own clothing business code name atrawknots
kind of need some help with it

Lol good luck
Thanks
I haven't read the whole thread, however not in any order:

1) Get yourself an Ebay store and sell it on Ebay, do the marketing, creating an attractive Ebay page
2) Etsy, another place to sell your stuff
3) Get yourself on a local buisness listing: Yell
4) Put of flyers at local community centre's, places like Tesco's, your local shops, chip shops
5) Put your business on a local business magazine
6) Newspaper adverts
7) Have your own website
8) Social media

Good luck
(edited 6 years ago)
Ok thanks
Just exploit china, you will have a higher profit margin and the ability to reach a bigger market (due to shipping from china) sadly you have wasted money on the equipment already so it depends how much more you have and if you are wanting to cut your losses now. You could also do something along the line of custom tees at your place (quicker than china) and just have your bulk stuff from china
K then
Part of me thinks that you're taking this seriously then some of me doesn't.

You've invested quite a lot into capital there.

There's no point saying you should have done this, this and this before because the machinery is yours now.

For clothing nowadays it's hardly ever about the actual design. Usually about the branding and the VIBE of the brand.

I like to use 11 Degrees as an example. Quite simply they have an 11 (degrees sign) as their logo and it took off. Why? It took off because of the brand, it was a modern, nice new feel endorsed by a lot of celebrities. At the end of the day though; their designs are very very simple.

So it comes down to social media really - that's where you should use your time. Process map as well - make sure your manufacturing process has all the necessary stages but is very efficient at the same time.

Quick Reply