Working at a Jewish Summer Camp and I'm not Jewish, what to expect? Watch

SeanLaurentParis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently on review with a Summer Camp it's practices are heavily based in Judaism, (Shabbat etc)..
I'd be going to work as a Camp Counsellor/Lifeguard.

I'd consider myself to be agnostic, I don't know and I don't particularly need to know, if I was to relate to a religion, it would be from a social stand point as opposed to the typical relationship.

I could end up going to a religious camp, I was born Catholic (since I'm Irish) but if I had to go to a religious summer camp I would rather not go to a non-Christian camp.

I'm not sure what to think, it could be a very interesting learning experience..
I know they do hire foreign staff, but a large portion of that staff is from Israel.
I'm guessing I'd be the only non jewish person at the camp.

What should I expect?
What do you think of it all?
Racoon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SeanLaurentParis)
I'm currently on review with a Summer Camp it's practices are heavily based in Judaism, (Shabbat etc)..
I'd be going to work as a Camp Counsellor/Lifeguard.

I'd consider myself to be agnostic, I don't know and I don't particularly need to know, if I was to relate to a religion, it would be from a social stand point as opposed to the typical relationship.

I could end up going to a religious camp, I was born Catholic (since I'm Irish) but if I had to go to a religious summer camp I would rather not go to a non-Christian camp.

I'm not sure what to think, it could be a very interesting learning experience..
I know they do hire foreign staff, but a large portion of that staff is from Israel.
I'm guessing I'd be the only non jewish person at the camp.

What should I expect?
What do you think of it all?
When I visited Israel I spent a day at a kibbutz. The food was delicious.

Quite an adventure, hope you have a great time.
SeanLaurentParis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Racoon)
When I visited Israel I spent a day at a kibbutz. The food was delicious.

Quite an adventure, hope you have a great time.
Great to hear I love trying new food!

Yeah I was a little apprehensive at first about how I'd be received, or how it would generally be at camp but if I was confirmed a place I would take it.
Rosie456_888
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They are really nice and normal and welcome you in they will really respect you. Good luck
I'mCookieMonster
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey.

I am in fact Jewish (although I identify as agnostic like you) and honestly you will be welcomed with open arms. Contrary to some popular beliefs, the majority of Jews are lovely and friendly and they will be very happy to chat to you about your experiences in Catholicism as some Jews are not necessarily exposed to people outside of their religion on a regular basis. Also, Jewish food is insane and otherworldly . And personally I think that it is good for people to experience these sorts of things like summer camps with those of other religions because there is so much horrible horrible stigma around religions such as Islam and Judaism and its really upsetting that some people (who you don't know and have never met) can have such a preconceived opinion of you. Anyway I am getting off topic, you will have a lovely time and remember to go in with an open mind, if this camp is religious as you say then you should respect their boundaries (like some more religious Jews will not touch those of another gender) and embrace the culture. Also, just a pointer, just because they hire people from Israel it does not mean that they are all necessarily going to be Jewish as there are many other cultures in Israel and Israelis themselves are normally more laid back about religion.

Hope that I have given you some helpful advice. Have a FANTASTIC time.

xxxxxxxxx
SeaScape
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

This past summer I worked at a Jewish Summer camp (I too am not Jewish).
In my first session I attended the services. You are expected to attend for the campers sake but they appreciated that most of the international staff were not Jewish. My camp was based on Jewish values as opposed to the actual religion.
On Friday night and Saturday you will be expected to wear all white I would suspect.
In my second session my day off changed so that it fell over Friday night to Saturday. This was a coincidence but I think that they appreciate that international staff are less involved in the religious ceremonies at camp.

My suggestion to you would be to embrace it. The camp that is looking at you know that you aren’t Jewish but they still want to hire you. Take it in your stride and try to learn a little bit about the religion before you go. You won’t be the only one there!

Another point. Don’t lie to the kids; they can know that you aren’t Jewish and will be interested to know about your culture.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have 🙂
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I imagine it would be very similar to other religion-based camps, i.e. the kids spend most of their time doing activities they would do at any other camp (sports, crafts, etc.), with a set amount of time each day devoted to some sort of scriptural study or prayer. I doubt you would be expected to join in with prayers or other religious observances, as long as you respect those who do take part.
username2965904
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree with the person who says don't lie about not being Jewish. Be respectful of their traditions and anything such as clothing worn or not worn on particular days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.58%
No (268)
33.42%

Watched Threads