Turn on thread page Beta

Someone upstairs is trying to give me a hint.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smaug)
    You could also think about Reading or Surrey. Good luck!
    No, don't put Reading! On July 13th the university council voted to close the Music Department there. I and the othe other 1st-year students have been transferred to Royal Holloway; only the 2nd-year students were allowed to stay to finish their degrees. The students expecting to start at Reading this year have been told to either accept the transfer to RHUL or find another university to transfer to. Either that or take an unexpected gap year.

There was loads of opposition to the closure, because it was actually a good department - the statistics used to 'prove' that the department wasn't good enough were literally at least seven years out of date. The trouble was, the Vice-Chancellor and certain other members of the Senior Management proved to be complete philistines (ie. with little appreciation for the Arts), who were determined to close down the department whatever the opposition. Many people believe that their plans for the future of the University is to generally downgrade the Arts (and some Humanities); closing Music is the first step of this plan. In my opinion (and that of many other people) the closure was an utter tragedy.

All of us in the Music Department were treated badly by Senior Management. The main things were: the staff were kept in ignorance of some important decisions and were generally not kept in touch with developments; and us 1st-year students were not told of the transferral until literally the last week of the summer term! And we all think there was something suspicious about the decision to hold the Council meeting a couple of weeks AFTER the end of term, when there were much fewer people around...

Anyway, rant over!

Good luck with you university stuff, a_musical_gal! (Sorry if I got your name slightly wrong)... Just don't make the mistake of putting Reading as your insurance choice, because they're shutting the department down. It would be a waste of your insurance choice.

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smaug)
    Have you looked at the Times league table? Cardiff isn't ranked very highly for music, so maybe there is a slight risk that if you dont get offers from the higher ones you'll end up with just Cardiff and Bangor?
    The problem is I have promised my folks that I will accept Cardiff (if they offer me a place) as either my firm or my insurance as my parents would like me to stay at home. We aren't the richest of familiest and I am grateful I am actual going to Uni, I am the only one ever out of my large family to actual to APPLY to univerisity.

This sounds sad because I actually kindda of what the plan is but we have to see in a few months. At the moment the plan is that my first choice is York. Should York not make an offer my first choice becomes Sussex. If neither of them offer me a place, my first choice becomes Cardiff and my insurance Bangor (which is just below York in the league tables). Should Cardiff give me a thumbs down as well as York or Sussex, Lancaster takes its place.

Also, league tables aren't all what I have judge my choices on. I have to acutally like the courses and the unis.

Sexual frustration may be?
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

She got married to my reg teacher who is a science teacher just under a year ago. she is a history teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, this is getting really bad.

Some of you know this already but it has been a while since I mentioned it. I'm not "attention seeking" at all, I'm just getting worried about my parents and applying to Uni.

My parents are overjoyed about me applying to Uni but when I mentioned applying to Unis other than Cardiff, they declared war. They are worried I'll end up hating the uni or unble to cope with tasks such as cooking and ironing which will end up with me, dropping out and squeaking all the way home.

I have explain millions of times, that I'm the only one who in charge of my future and I will listen to their advice but at the end of the day it is my choice, my decision. I had been successful in my attempt to get my parents to accept to fact I was applying to Cardiff and away from home.

But now a new battle was began. My mother believes she can stop me leaving home but battering the excitement by every time I say anything about Uni she stops talking to me and ignores me until I change the subject...it is getting annoying but I'm suviving.

However, tomorrow is a big meeting at my school about Uni, with all parents and teachers meeting up to talk....I have kindda of explained my sitution to my English teacher, who I have known since year 9 and knows me pretty well.
    I have always gone to her about my problems because she understands after going though a similar problems with her own parents. She says she'll try and talk my mum without causing more problems for me but I am sure her is going to say something to my dragon of a HOS, who still hasn't really left me alone about me telling her my Uni choices (I told her nothing she said could change my mind).

Any ideas?

Also, guys, I'm praying to get my application ready for Monday Oct 4th but I'm still having problems with my Personal Statement...I have a thread in the PS section called OMG...My personal statement. Any advice would be good.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to your parents, I'd try to explain to them that uni's the perfect halfway house between living on your own altogether and having them to support you. A couple of hours train journey isn't a long way away, so you'll be able to live your life a bit, but you'll be home for half the year on holiday anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    With regards to your parents, I'd try to explain to them that uni's the perfect halfway house between living on your own altogether and having them to support you. A couple of hours train journey isn't a long way away, so you'll be able to live your life a bit, but you'll be home for half the year on holiday anyway.
    Thanks, I'll try.

BTW, I can't play the grandparent's card either. My grandparent's (on my mother's side - not on my dad's because I can't talk to them) side with my parent slighty but understand my freedom is important to me however they won't dare say this to my parents so I'm on my own.

ReputationRep:
    Went to meeting...went bad...don't want to talk about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    APPLY WHERE YOU WANT TO, GOD DAMN IT, WOMAN :mad::mad::mad:

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    APPLY WHERE YOU WANT TO, GOD DAMN IT, WOMAN :mad::mad::mad:

Sorry.
    oh I am going to apply to York, I kicked my HOS butt earlier this week. The meeting was about student finance.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the school's best interests and yours are the same -- both intend you to go to the best uni you can get to.

Remember that, once you have all your offers, you will have do select 2 -- and only two -- one to be your firm offer, and one for insurance. This might be why they didn't want you to select two similar universities, in case you miss both of them.

It is your choice, but your parents are likely to be paying for it. Why do they favour Cardiff so much? Is it a cost issue (though you get less loan if you like at home) or does your mum not want 'her baby' to leave?

My parents were the opposite -- they didn't want me to go to a local uni (Leicester, Loughborough, De Montfort) because they said I should be more independent.

My college didn't have any problem with my choices of uni. But then I did get AAAAB so applying to AAA and AAB places wasn't a problem

Talking to your english teacher was the best thing to do, don't just sit on the problem. Applying early really does help, too, I'm sure you know why.

Do remember that your HOS might be writing your reference!

Ummm.... I'm not sure how useful that is. Sorry :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaoscomplex)
    It is your choice, but your parents are likely to be paying for it. Why do they favour Cardiff so much?
    I don't want any help from my parents at all, I just want to do what I want to.

They favour Cardiff because it is a 15 min train ride from my house then a 5 min walk.

SCREW THEM ALL BECAUSE ONLY ONE OF MY CHOICES WILL ALLOW ME TO STAY HOME!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    I think there's a certain irony here. Mentioning that you don't want to discuss something on a forum is bizzare to say the least. I'm sure if you didn't say anything people wouldn't discuss it!

Oh and please, everyone, don't talk to me about my overly close realtionship with my uncle or my body odour.

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Plank)
    I think there's a certain irony here. Mentioning that you don't want to discuss something on a forum is bizzare to say the least. I'm sure if you didn't say anything people wouldn't discuss it!

Oh and please, everyone, don't talk to me about my overly close realtionship with my uncle or my body odour.

John
    So???? :confused: If I had said,

The meeting was held in the really cold hall which is where it began to go downhill and I don't want to talk about it. Someone would have.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.