The Student Room Group

How often would a soldier go on deployments ???

How often would a soldier go on deployments to other countries ???
To be specific a combat medic technician.
Also, how do they choose which soldiers/medics get deployed...???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonomon

Hi there

Deployments range from 6-24 months. Not common for a 24 month deployment though. Often on longer ones you will break half way through , not all the time though.

Medics are deployed on every operation, combat to humanitarian aid to peacekeeping exercises. You won’t be short of travel, I can assure.

For your first few years in the army as medic once qualified they will look to deploy you quickly as they want medics to be experienced and be able to work in a variety of locations

This link will help you: https://www.army.mod.uk/deployments/

Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by anonomon

Deployments to war or just a general foreign deployment to another base? Unless attached to a Special forces team combat medical technicians won't be on the frontline.
Original post by jdddd
Deployments to war or just a general foreign deployment to another base? Unless attached to a Special forces team combat medical technicians won't be on the frontline.

Deployment term doesn’t change if your at war or not. Peacekeeping with the UN or humanitarian aid is still a deployment. Medics who work with special forces have to be special forces trained which is why many naval doctors and surgeons and dentists have green berets for the Royal Marines. Combat medics are deployed to the frontline as they are soldiers. They also deploy to the frontline as they are first port of call for an injured serviceman. If you read the news you’ll find that there have been multiple occasions when combat medics have been awarded medals or featured on the news for their dedication to treating soldiers on the front line.

My cousin is a combat medic and has served on the frontline in Afghanistan, not a clue what your talking about for the special forces frontline part.
Reply 4
Original post by Teebowe
Deployment term doesn’t change if your at war or not. Peacekeeping with the UN or humanitarian aid is still a deployment. Medics who work with special forces have to be special forces trained which is why many naval doctors and surgeons and dentists have green berets for the Royal Marines. Combat medics are deployed to the frontline as they are soldiers. They also deploy to the frontline as they are first port of call for an injured serviceman. If you read the news you’ll find that there have been multiple occasions when combat medics have been awarded medals or featured on the news for their dedication to treating soldiers on the front line.

My cousin is a combat medic and has served on the frontline in Afghanistan, not a clue what your talking about for the special forces frontline part.

I know.. Which is why I asked wether he means a Frontline deployment or another deployment such as what you mentioned. A lot of people talk about Deployment being that on the frontline. Especially when talking about combat roles. Lol No they don't. Royal Marines and UKSFSG are two different things. Doctors would not also serve as marines.
Original post by jdddd
I know.. Which is why I asked wether he means a Frontline deployment or another deployment such as what you mentioned. A lot of people talk about Deployment being that on the frontline. Especially when talking about combat roles. Lol No they don't. Royal Marines and UKSFSG are two different things. Doctors would not also serve as marines.

I never said the Royal Marines and the special forces are the same thing. Doctors and dentists do serve in the Royal Marines as I know doctors and dentists who do. They are officers then complete the commando training to earn a green beret so they can operat with the Marines. This is the same for champlains, here is a link to prove it. https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2014/july/04/140705-commando-chaplain
Reply 6
Original post by Teebowe
I never said the Royal Marines and the special forces are the same thing. Doctors and dentists do serve in the Royal Marines as I know doctors and dentists who do. They are officers then complete the commando training to earn a green beret so they can operat with the Marines. This is the same for champlains, here is a link to prove it. https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2014/july/04/140705-commando-chaplain

I never mentioned the Special forces. I said UKSFSG. Also they are part of the regiment and go on deployments but don't serve on the frontlines, which is what i'm talking about.
Are, it wasn’t made clear
Reply 8
Original post by jdddd
Unless attached to a Special forces team combat medical technicians won't be on the frontline.

Incorrect. There was a CMT on every patrol above platoon level I went on.
Reply 9
Original post by NFI

No, I stand corrected. CMT's are deployed with ordinary infantry regiments etc just not at the moment as the infantry regiments aren't currently engaged in combat.
Reply 10
Original post by Teebowe
Are, it wasn’t made clear

Apologies
Original post by NFI

This

Original post by jdddd
No, I stand corrected. CMT's are deployed with ordinary infantry regiments etc just not at the moment as the infantry regiments aren't currently engaged in combat.

There are still CMTs working alongside infantry medics as part of their medical platoons, they still need to train alongside each other so they they are operationally effective. Theyre part if the battalions numbers for the duration of their posting.
Reply 12
Original post by moonkatt
This

There are still CMTs working alongside infantry medics as part of their medical platoons, they still need to train alongside each other so they they are operationally effective. Theyre part if the battalions numbers for the duration of their posting.

CMT's are deployed with ordinary infantry regiments etc just not at the moment as the infantry regiments aren't currently engaged in combat. Yes they're still deployed and training thats not mine point as stated numerous times above. The British Army infantry regiments are not deployed on a FRONTLINE in large scale. We have pulled out of Afghanistan and are not in active duty at WAR. That being said foreign deployments to places such as Kenya still happen but on a small scale.
Original post by jdddd
CMT's are deployed with ordinary infantry regiments etc just not at the moment as the infantry regiments aren't currently engaged in combat. Yes they're still deployed and training thats not mine point as stated numerous times above. The British Army infantry regiments are not deployed on a FRONTLINE in large scale. We have pulled out of Afghanistan and are not in active duty at WAR. That being said foreign deployments to places such as Kenya still happen but on a small scale.

You could argue that sine Telic in 2003 there’s been no traditional frontline deployment of combat troops. With counterinsurgency having no defined front line and the threat coming from anywhere, including supposed friendly troops. Whilst both roles in Iraq and Afghanistan have been wound down and troops now working in more of a training capacity, they are still at risk of coming under contact. There’s currently two regiments in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, all of whom will have RAMC medics working with them dealing with actual wounded troops, be them our own or other friendlies, civilians and potentially enemy combatants.
Reply 14
You could argue that sine Telic in 2003 there’s been no traditional frontline deployment of combat troops. With counterinsurgency having no defined front line and the threat coming from anywhere, including supposed friendly troops. Whilst both roles in Iraq and Afghanistan have been wound down and troops now working in more of a training capacity, they are still at risk of coming under contact. There’s currently two regiments in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, all of whom will have RAMC medics working with them dealing with actual wounded troops, be them our own or other friendlies, civilians and potentially enemy combatants.

Yes but training is not the frontline. Such as foot patrols, vehicle patrols, intelligence patrols etc. Im talking about the infantry fighting side not training. Frontline Deployment.
Reply 15
Original post by jdddd
Yes but training is not the frontline. Such as foot patrols, vehicle patrols, intelligence patrols etc. Im talking about the infantry fighting side not training. Frontline Deployment.

British forces are still patrolling in Afghanistan. See Op Toral.

British forces are still patrolling in Iraq. See Op Shader.
Reply 16
Original post by NFI
British forces are still patrolling in Afghanistan. See Op Toral.

British forces are still patrolling in Iraq. See Op Shader.

Op Toral= 400 military advisors and trainers.

Op Shader= Under 1000 Advisors and trainers.

No Patrols or large scale infantry deployments.
Reply 17
No patrols? How are they providing their force protection then?
Original post by jdddd
Op Toral= 400 military advisors and trainers.

Op Shader= Under 1000 Advisors and trainers.

No Patrols or large scale infantry deployments.

1000 troops isn't a large scale deployment? It doesn't matter what capacity they're used in, they still require medical cover.

Out of curiosity, what's your military experience?
Reply 19
1000 troops isn't a large scale deployment? It doesn't matter what capacity they're used in, they still require medical cover.

Out of curiosity, what's your military experience?

No 1000 troops isn't a large scale. Large scale is about 7000+. They wouldn't need as much medical support as they would where it is a large scale frontline deployment.

Military experience doesn't matter its quite basic math. The lower number deployed the lower number of Medics. Im telling the OP it isn't likely as Medics are deployed on a small scale. If it were Afghanistan or Iraq frontline deployment would be highly likely. As that was his question.

Quick Reply

Latest