Why do my parents want me to do science A-Levels? Watch

username2899906
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I really don't find them interesting, but my mother keeps saying I am making a mistake if I don't choose them.
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you not think this question might not be more suited to your parents? We can speculate on all the benefits and drawbacks of taking Science based A Levels all we like but if you want to know why your parents think you should take them then you need to ask your parents.
Intel.Imperitive
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I take it you want to study Drama, Sociology, General Studies and PE for A Levels?
Baza2002
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Goldfish4343)
I really don't find them interesting, but my mother keeps saying I am making a mistake if I don't choose them.
if you don't find them interesting don't do them. they think that they are most-likely to get you a well-paid job but if you don't like them then don't choose them because you want to enjoy your job or your time at university (after a-levels if you want to go)
username2899906
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Do you not think this question might not be more suited to your parents? We can speculate on all the benefits and drawbacks of taking Science based A Levels all we like but if you want to know why your parents think you should take them then you need to ask your parents.
Well why do other parents do this could be a better question. I'm guessing mine aren't the only ones.
username3752444
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
please do not simply choose science subjects because your parents tell you to. I wanted to take French and modern studies instead of biology and chemistry but I was pressured into taking the sciences. I wasn't happy with my subjects, I didn't do as well as I could have, I had to modify my career path. Please please please do what you want to do, your parents only want the best for you but only you know what will be best. Everyone told me to do what I wanted to do not what anyone told me to, I didn't listen and it had a huge effect. Speak with your parents and inform them of other career paths etc so that they know you know what you want to do.
Texxers
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because your parents understand the concept of STEM superiority.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well why do other parents do this could be a better question. I'm guessing mine aren't the only ones.
Probably because at a fundamental level, STEM subjects such as Science tend to set you up for better careers, better pay, etc. Odds are parents recommend it because they think it's good for their children.

Personally I was given free reign to choose whatever I wanted to do. They were my options. Take whatever you want but at the same time try to understand why your parents want you to take Science based subjects.
username2899906
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Take whatever you want but at the same time try to understand why your parents want you to take Science based subjects.
But shouldn't my enjoyment take more importance for whatever reasons my parents come up with?
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But shouldn't my enjoyment take more importance for whatever reasons my parents come up with?
That's a question for them, not us.

We don't know what you want to do. For all we know, you're choosing A Levels that will struggle to get you into uni, or subjects that you might enjoy but aren't good at. We don't know if your parents are recommending you take Science based subject (which might or might not simply be Physics, Chemistry, Biology) or whether they're putting a lot of pressure on you.

Yes, it's good if you enjoy your subjects. But at the same time your A Level choices do have a reasonable impact on what you do in the immediate future. At some point, you might have to start making practical choices, rather than fun choices. If you're lucky the two will overlap.

So yes, your enjoyment should play some part. But I wouldn't say it takes absolute precedence over ANY reason your parents come up with. Ultimately they're probably offering advice on what's best for you, not forcing you. You're free to ignore that advice if you wish but I'm willing to bet somewhere they probably have a point.
KieranAdam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't do it. Its not their life, it's yours. Sure, they may be unhappy with your decision, but you cannot live your life doing what your parents want you to do, or you'll be unfulfilled and thinking 'what if?'. Don't make that mistake, make the hard choice that's right for you. You can't please everyone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?