B1328 - Fair Living Wage Bill 2018 Watch

This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is this?/I'm confused
Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1328 - Fair Living Wage Bill 2018, TSR Labour Party

Fair Living Wage Bill 2018

An Act to ensure all employees receive a fair living wage.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Repeals
(1) V731 and V1135 are repealed.
(2) Sections 5 to 8 and Schedule I of the National Minimum Wage Act 1998 are repealed.
(3) Subsections 3(1) and 3(1A) of the National Minimum Wage Act 1998 are repealed.

2: Establishment of a Fair Pay Commission
(1) A Fair Pay Commission shall be established under the supervision of the Treasury.
(2) The Fair Pay Commission shall convene annually and report the living wage for each upcoming financial year.

3: Calculation of a Living Wage
(1) The Fair Pay Commission may determine the precise methodology for the calculation of a living wage, provided–
(1) (a) The figure calculated takes into accounts all necessary outgoings across a financial year.
(1) (b) The figure calculated uses a weighted average of all family types within the United Kingdom.
(1) (c) The figure calculated is sufficient to cover all outgoing spending, based on an individual working 40 hours per week, 50 weeks per year.
(2) Living wage calculations must be carried out separately for within Greater London.
(3) Upon the request of the Secretary of State, the living wage calculations may also be carried out separately for each of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
(4) All methodology and calculations must be placed in a prominent position in the public domain on the internet.

4: New National Minimum Wage (NMW) Rate
(1) The Secretary of State must not determine the rate of the NMW to be lower than the most recent living wage calculated by the Fair Pay Commission.
(2) The Secretary of State must set a separate rate for the NMW within Greater London.
(3) The Secretary of State may set a separate rate for the NMW in each of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, provided they have received the necessary calculations under subsection 3(3) above.

5: New Restrictions Upon Recipients of the NMW
A new subsection 3(1) is inserted into the National Minimum Wage Act 1998 as follows:
(1) This section applies to persons who are–
(1) (a) within the first six months after the commencement of their employment with an employer by whom they have not previously been employed;
(1) (b) participating in a scheme under which shelter is provided in return for work;
(1) (c) participating in a scheme designed to provide training, work experience or temporary work;
(1) (d) participating in a scheme to assist in the seeking or obtaining of work; or
(1) (e) attending a course of higher education requiring attendance for a period of work experience.

6: Extent, Commencement and Short Title
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on the 1st of April 2018.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Fair Living Wage Act 2018.

Notes
This bill does the following:
– Abolishes the Low Pay Commission, which currently advises on NMW rises.
– Establishes a new Fair Pay Commission, which will calculate the rate of the living wage.
– Applies the living wage (the new NMW) to workers of all ages.
– Keeps all other restrictions on receipt of the NMW as they currently are.
– Provides for a separate NMW rate for Greater London (compulsorily) and separate rates for the four UK nations (should the government wish).
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay on this
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye, there is no good reason to set a minimum wage at a lower level that that which is required to sustain a person's needs.

If that wage level is higher than the level a business can afford to pay, that business needs frankly to review whether or not its business model is viable.
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay here too

Wouldn't this be a bit of a pain for employers? Let's not overcomplicate things.

Why don't we just abolish the living wage instead?
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What would the typical increase be for this?
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would Saracen's Fez like to explain why he and other Labour MPs supported the two acts they now wish to repeal?

4.1 I can see being possibly problematic in terms of inflation etc.

I think the bill is well written though.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay, we need to abolish the minimum wage.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Would Saracen's Fez like to explain why he and other Labour MPs supported the two acts they now wish to repeal?

Because the original bill, whilst the heart is in the right place, is not a particularly great piece of legislation, including outsourcing wage rates to a charity, which in hindsight was a mistake. We want to restore a proper living wage for all, and so we are taking the opportunity to write a better piece of legislation to do so.

I'm not sure I see the great issue with 4.1, given minimum wage increases are generally annual anyway, and would continue to be so under this bill.
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye, I agree with this.
The PoliticalGuy
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well-Worded Bill but it should empower support for separate minimum wages around the country and for councils to decide for it to sustain people's needs.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)

I supported the latter as it was an improvement on the status quo, and I don't think it's reasonable to hold Bills to a higher standard than that.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So Labour want to cut the minimum wage and repeal an act that has already been repealed?
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
So Labour want to cut the minimum wage and repeal an act that has already been repealed?
I'm interested to know which Act you believe has been repealed already?

Also I don't see any good reason to set the minimum wage above the living wage either – really I see it as a means to ensure employees are paid a reasonable amount and work pays.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saunders16)
Nay, we need to abolish the minimum wage.
Indeed
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'm interested to know which Act you believe has been repealed already?

Also I don't see any good reason to set the minimum wage above the living wage either – really I see it as a means to ensure employees are paid a reasonable amount and work pays.
731 is repealed by 1135, and reasonable pay would mean abolition of the minimum wage.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
731 is repealed by 1135, and reasonable pay would mean abolition of the minimum wage.
One section (2) of V731 is repealed by V1135. The Act isn't actually taken off the statute books, even if it does very little post that repeal.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mr Speaker, that the last government considers this bill to be worthy of replacing B1135 is offensive to our dozens of citizens.

Keeping the minimum wage tied to the employment rate is a far superior idea and I implore the government and Libertarians to put aside their differences and give this bill the 30 Nay's it deserves.
CoffeeGeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Aye, I agree with this.
I think you ought to reconsider. Haven’t even explained why B1135 is being repealed which they supported.
CoffeeGeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Mr Speaker, that the government considers this bill to be worthy of replacing B1135 is offensive to our dozens of citizens.

Keeping the minimum wage tied to the employment rate is a far superior idea and I implore the government and Libertarians to put aside their differences and give this bill the 30 Nay's it deserves.
The government supports this bill?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (15)
17.05%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (6)
6.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (16)
18.18%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (11)
12.5%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (11)
12.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (29)
32.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed