This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is this?/I'm confused
Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

M461 - Peace Corps Motion 2018, Joecphillips seconded by JellyMilkThis house calls upon the government to send the British Peace Corps to Myanmar and Bangladesh to help the Rohingya refugees have had to flee their homes due to the conditions they faced, the Peace Corps could help improve the infrastructure in the camps the refugees are staying and help rebuild the area they had to flee,

Part of the Peace Corps mission is “to contribute forces to operations other than war in support of British interests and international order and humanitarian principles.” And I would say this counts.
CountBrandenburg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I feel like this is a good idea in theory, helping rebuild after the rohingya have fled. This would be a good way to involve ourselves without committing ourselves to intervene. I’ll probably vote Aye on this
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
At present, I can't see a reason to oppose this.
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye. It's good to help people around the world, and would positively impact foreign relations. I really like this motion
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Given what is happening in Myanmar and Bangladesh, it would indeed be wrong if there was not some form of an international response to the Rohingya refugees crisis but it should not only be the UK who should step in to resolve this crisis. I will be voting in favour of this.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, a non-military solution which still aids the Rohingya people.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Given what is happening in Myanmar and Bangladesh, it would indeed be wrong if there was not some form of an international response to the Rohingya refugees crisis but it should not only be the UK who should step in to resolve this crisis. I will be voting in favour of this.
I agree that the Foreign Secretary should engage with counterparts to inform them of the decision and try to co-ordinate a multi-national response, but really if we have the Peace Corps we ought to be making use of them in situations like this, one would think.
El Salvador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it to rebuilding the Empire by re-colonizing the 2 countries?
Saunders16
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is a very good idea and something we should deploy as a response to international crises more often. The Rohingya crisis is one that we cannot remain silent about because it is of such great significance, but, nonetheless, it is understandable that greater focus is being attributed to the conflict with North Korea and the ongoing Middle Eastern disputes, especially with regard to Syria. Whether our allies join us in pursuing a peaceful form of intervention, this is the right thing to do to present an image of an open, powerful country post-Brexit. Most importantly, this could really benefit a group that are deeply suffering. A very strong Aye from me.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, a strong aye.
ns_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye - as of yet, no reasons have come to mind to oppose this; seems the best course of redimatory action in what is a complex situation.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seems reasonable Aye
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay. We have no reason to waste resources whilst 1/4 of our own young people live in poverty.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mrwb9876)
Nay. We have no reason to waste resources whilst 1/4 of our own young people live in poverty.
How much extra does this cost?

Nothing as that money has already been spent on employing those young people in the Peace Corps, if you don’t support it existing then repeal that but it isn’t a reason to oppose this.
CountBrandenburg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by joecphillips)
How much extra does this cost?

Nothing as that money has already been spent on employing those young people in the Peace Corps, if you don’t support it existing then repeal that but it isn’t a reason to oppose this.
PRSOM, I concur, since this is an investment being made by the TSR government, therefore it stands to reason that this is something we should make use of.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don’t see why I should oppose this. Aye.
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mrwb9876)
Oh so suddenly helping people even more unfortunate than our own young people is a waste of money now?
Dafios9128
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, we should help the refugees suffering from persecution.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed