The Student Room Group

am i 1/4 irish

3 of my grandparents are english 1 is irish my dad is english mum was born in the uk but her mum is irish am i 1/4 irish
Yes, you are. Your mum is half Irish (ethnically speaking) which makes you a quarter Irish. Assuming you're talking about the RoI, you're also entitled to apply for an Irish passport.
Yes. Same as me. If you have either a parent or grandparent that is Irish and you can prove the family connection, you are entitled to apply for an Irish passport, if you want.
Original post by Langerhan
Yes, you are. Your mum is half Irish (ethnically speaking) which makes you a quarter Irish. Assuming you're talking about the RoI, you're also entitled to apply for an Irish passport.

You can also apply for an Irish passport and call yourself Irish if they were born in Northern Ireland. Half the population there [ here] class themselves as Irish.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by markova21
You can also apply for an Irish passport and call yourself Irish if they were born in Northern Ireland. Half the population there [ here] class themselves as Irish.

Where are you getting that from? My da's Irish, so I have an Irish passport, and when I was applying for it everything I read said you either needed a parent/grandparent who was an Irish citizen or you needed to be living in NI yourself.
I am half welsh.

My Dad was born in England but my Mum was born in Wales.
Original post by Langerhan
Where are you getting that from? My da's Irish, so I have an Irish passport, and when I was applying for it everything I read said you either needed a parent/grandparent who was an Irish citizen or you needed to be living in NI yourself.

That's what I meant. It doesn't matter where in Ireland someone was born. If they were born on the island of Ireland they are entitled to call themselves Irish. Also, if they have a parent or grandparent who was born on the island of Ireland they can claim Irish citizenship. My grandfather was born in County Offaly. But because my stupid parents didn't want to put my real dad's name of my birth certificate for benefits purposes, and instead put my father down as my mum's first husband, I cannot prove the my dad's father was born in Ireland.
Original post by markova21
That's what I meant. It doesn't matter where in Ireland someone was born. If they were born on the island of Ireland they are entitled to call themselves Irish. Also, if they have a parent or grandparent who was born on the island of Ireland they can claim Irish citizenship. My grandfather was born in County Offaly. But because my stupid parents didn't want to put my real dad's name of my birth certificate for benefits purposes, and instead put my father down as my mum's first husband, I cannot prove the my dad's father was born in Ireland.

Oh you can absolutely call yourself half-Irish even if your parent's from NI! But no, you can't claim Irish citizenship unless that parent also has it. To claim Irish citizenship, you either need to be born in RoI, have a parent who had Irish citizenship, have a parent who was on the Irish Foreign Births Register, or be a citizen of NI. You can't claim Irish citizenship if your parent was from Northern Ireland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending