The Student Room Group

Choices

For A-level I am quite stuck, I am thinking about doing Chemistry Physics and Maths with the aim to do chemical-physics or something along those lines at uni however I know these are ridiculously hard, I would want at least three As in them to go to a top uni. I was thinking about Geography but I'm unsure. In my mocks I got 3 8s in those first three subjects...
Geography can be just as hard if you aren't interested in it :smile:
Reply 2
Yeah I have heard it is very but must surely be slightly easier than maths and sciences
Reply 3
I can only speak for Maths and Chemistry, but I find both to be relatively straight forward A levels - no essay writing for either. If you’re getting 8s in them, and most importantly you enjoy them, then I can see no issue with you achieving As in all three.
Reply 4
Original post by TunaPal
I can only speak for Maths and Chemistry, but I find both to be relatively straight forward A levels - no essay writing for either. If you’re getting 8s in them, and most importantly you enjoy them, then I can see no issue with you achieving As in all three.

Thanks, did you get A*s in maths and chemistry for GCSE?
Universities tend to only look for 3 levels so you don’t have to do a fourth but if you want to then choose one which may not be so challenging.
Reply 6
Original post by Lachlanyoung
Universities tend to only look for 3 levels so you don’t have to do a fourth but if you want to then choose one which may not be so challenging.

Yeah I would only go for 3 but don't know which ones, I want to do sciences but fear they are too hard
If you choose to study the sciences and don’t enjoy them or find that you cannot handle all of the work you are being given then if you decide early enough you may be able to swap to a different subject.
I can speak for all subjects here. from hardest to easiest

physics chem maths

if you're afraid of them being too hard then how do you expect to progress? if all you do all life is take the easy path then don't expect to achieve great things.
Reply 9
Original post by Psaa
For A-level I am quite stuck, I am thinking about doing Chemistry Physics and Maths with the aim to do chemical-physics or something along those lines at uni however I know these are ridiculously hard, I would want at least three As in them to go to a top uni. I was thinking about Geography but I'm unsure. In my mocks I got 3 8s in those first three subjects...

I do all 3 and am in year 13, tbh you should be hard; they aren't impossible, just be consistent with your work. Physics will be the hardest and chemistry/maths are a lot easier. Also since those will be the only subjects you're doing you should have a lot of time for UCAS preparation and revision
Reply 10
Thanks, I think I will put them down provided I get 8s in them
Original post by bruh2132
I do all 3 and am in year 13, tbh you should be hard; they aren't impossible, just be consistent with your work. Physics will be the hardest and chemistry/maths are a lot easier. Also since those will be the only subjects you're doing you should have a lot of time for UCAS preparation and revision

ditto this.
Geography is mad craic, make sure you know what modules you’re doing though because coastal landforms might make you fall asleep
I myself do Chemistry, and I won’t lie it’s difficult, but so long as you are willing to work hard out of class then there’s no reason you won’t do amazing. It’s definitely interesting and the practicals are great :h: I do Geography as well, having loved it at GCSE and I can’t recommend the A level more, and must say I definitely find it easier than chemistry, and I think it would combine pretty well with the other subjects you plan on doing. It’s a really fun course but is also looked on well by unis since it’s a ‘facilitating’ subject and gives you lots of useful transferable skills! :u:
Reply 14
Original post by Psaa
Thanks, did you get A*s in maths and chemistry for GCSE?

Yep.

If you’re wanting to go on to do the physical sciences, Maths is a must, and in my opinion, it’s the easiest of the list (going by what my friends say of physics).
Reply 15
doi
Original post by Psaa
Thanks, I think I will put them down provided I get 8s in them

Also tbh, when I started a level I was doing History for like 3 weeks then ended up picking chemistry over it and I have ended up applying for it at some places. So, you can just test the waters for the first few weeks maybe do all 4 and drop one or do one and swap it out.

Quick Reply

Latest