k500
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I applied for portsmouth and got an offer but my mum said that its really rough and that there is a navy base nearby and all the navy people come into the bars and stuff and cause hassle.

Whats it like? I dont want her to put me off going.
sparkler
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i saw sailors all of once in the 3 years i was in portsmouth, and they caused no trouble at all.

you'll have more trouble with the locals. and that's pretty much only if you go looking for it.
Alamothih
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah as said, ive seen 3 sailors total and none in bars, no trouble yet really. Seen one fight in a bar and he was just blind drunk and asked to leave, so sorta explains that.
a guy on my course had his brothers visit and they were attacked, but i dont know too much into the background of that case.

ive never reallly felt it was too rough tbh, not htat ive noticed anyway and im usually the first to avoid trouble
nanananabatman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The only sailors I've seen are the ones from uni in fancy dress.

Seriously, it's as rough as any other town. Nothing to worry about. Come here!
PhantomBoggler
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've only visited the place briefly, but I imagine it's about as rough as a baby's bottom, after it's been sandpapered down with James Bond's social discourse on the quality of andrex tissues.
AndyValiant
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've been here for 3 years - I've received grief once and that was from a student - it's not rough at all - there are obviously rough bits - like there is in any city but you don't go to them.

I think it used to be rougher in the 80s and early 90s but it's not now.
k500
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Yer it doesnt sound too bad my mum and my 2 older sister were like all the navy men go into the student bars and take them over and the city is really rough with gangs going about.

But you lot have first hand knowledge of it so thanks for your answers.

Anymore?
AndyValiant
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
haha, that's ridiculous - most of the Navy are totally harmless, they only tend to be out on the weekend and they most definitely don't go into the student bars - maybe one or two but that's more to hang out, not to fight. What a weird idea.

and there are no gangs that i've ever seen, nor has anyone i've met (and most of my friends are born and bred Portsmouth kids...so they'd know.)

i'd advise your mum and sisters to visit Portsmouth.
Superhoops
Report 13 years ago
The sailor thing is a total myth, before coming to university alot of people back home said the same thing as they have to you but it wasn't something that fazed me much and I thought I'd soon find out for myself.

Been here 5 months now and haven't seen any trouble with the navy personnel, a few scuffles between drunken students and some problems with locals on the weekend but nothing you don't see all around the UK.

One thing I will say is if you go out giving it the billy big spuds then you will definetly find someone out there willing to put you in your place lol. They locals don't go looking for trouble but on the same note won't back down if someone is giving them grief.
petzneo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lol, seriously you should get your mum and sisters to visit, they'll change their minds pretty quickly...
esm
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The whole navy stereotype is the same as the gay stereotype in Brighton or anything else along those lines. Since September I haven't seen a single "navy boy" or any kind of fight. I read somewhere that Guildhall Walk (the row of pubs close to halls) is the roughest place in Hampshire, but this is utter bull**** i've seen a few guys get kicked out of pubs but nothing serious. Don't let the navy thing put you off, it just doesn't happen
skribla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The good thing about Portsmouth if you are worried about trouble, is that there are pretty much 3 key locations where people go out to drink, therefore, police presence is high in these areas before trouble has even started.... again, I only really see a high police presence on nights when the locals are out. There are hardly any about on student nights - students keep themselves to themselves.

It is as rough as anywhere else as other people have already said.
cjgbr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
pompey is cool and chiiled out dude
gupalsmurthpadacal
Report 13 years ago
Portsmouth really isn't as bad as what people make it out to be!
Yeah they have all the troubles that any city does and some areas are rougher than others (Cosham and Paulsgrove used to be pretty bad but I have not visted either places lately) but it really isn't that bad. Usually the only way to get into trouble is to go out and find it!
pr0n
Report 13 years ago
WTF is your mum smoking? Portsmouth has had so much money over the past few years making the place look good. Brand new buildings, apartments, brand new gunwhalf shopping centre.

The fact that every pub/resturant here has doormen and police presence is extremely high. I feel safe when I go out at night. I have had a few people eyeball me and want to start, but being a boxer its nothing I can't handle and walk away from.

Every city has its rough parts, welcome to the city!
Sarahl89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
id never go to pompey uni ive lived in hampshire my whole life & portsmouth really isnt the nicest town ive ever seen!! i never even considered it, much of the town is quite scummy imo altho the uni part is better than the rest of it, but the uni is quite spread out as it is, and like someone else said, its probably less the sailors and more the locals you should be worrying about.
piiiink
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Me and my mum once saw about 8 sailors perched in and around a convertable car with its roof down at about 10pm completely naked. It was hilarious.

I barely come across any sailors though, and they never cause that much trouble. Student nights are pretty much just students; it's just the scary toothless locals that you need to be worried about on the weekends ;-)
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Portsmouth is fine.
There are bad areas, much like any of city anywhere.
I've never seen a sailor. I'm in my third year, lived in Rees in the first year. Portsea in my second and now in Southsea on the edge of somerstown.
There have been a few problems but nothing that isn't unusual in a city.
switch007
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yea. I haven't seen any sailors in 2 years! The students areas are mainly full of students.

However there is a large proportion of chavs. And I know 3 people who get attacked in Somer's town late at night.
AndyValiant
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You know, If i'm honest, the most fights and vandalism i've seen have been committed by students (including my own housemates) It's not a rough city at all, and in reply to that Sarah girl, I've also lived in Hampshire my entire life, and chose to come here over many other cities - there are plenty worse than pompey.
x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
27.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.81%
No I am happy with my choice (89)
55.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.55%

Watched Threads