University of Bristol vs King's College London? (Law) Watch

tsn99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've received offers from both. Which one is better in terms of employability prospects, social life, etc? I'm an international student. Thanks!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tsn99)
I've received offers from both. Which one is better in terms of employability prospects, social life, etc? I'm an international student. Thanks!
They are both good. I suspect Kings has the better known brand internationally. In the UK I would say they are on a par.
The biggest difference imo is whether you want to study in London with all the pros and cons of that v Bristol.
showaeski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not much between them to be honest, they're both top unis. Employers aren't really going to prefer one over the other. The social side of Bristol is better imo. London is great and there's lots to do but there's less of a student feel. Can get quite busy and also very expensive.
Wikia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're an international student I feel like you would be much more suited to KCL, it's in the hub of the most multi-cultural city in the UK and it also has quite high diversity rates compared to Bristol.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wikia)
If you're an international student I feel like you would be much more suited to KCL, it's in the hub of the most multi-cultural city in the UK and it also has quite high diversity rates compared to Bristol.
KCL is 68% non-UK for its law course whereas Bristol is 40% non-UK. KCL is more "diverse", but Bristol still has a thriving international student body.
Wikia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
KCL is 68% non-UK for its law course whereas Bristol is 40% non-UK. KCL is more "diverse", but Bristol still has a thriving international student body.
As a city, however, Bristol isn't as culturally integrated as London with only 16% of the population being black or part of an ethnic minority group (source), that's not much compared to London's 45% (source).
TheFirstAvenger
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Both are great universities so employability for both is good.
KCL is probably more well known internationally.
KCL is more diverse and you will have many places to go to in London.
It's cheaper to stay in Bristol.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wikia)
As a city, however, Bristol isn't as culturally integrated as London with only 16% of the population being black or part of an ethnic minority group (source), that's not much compared to London's 45% (source).
That wasn't my point. I was simply saying Bristol's LLB course, and the university as a whole, attracts a significant number of international students. More so than many people expect.
Wikia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
That wasn't my point. I was simply saying Bristol's LLB course, and the university as a whole, attracts a significant number of international students. More so than many people expect.
So why quote me? I didn't make a reference to the course whatsoever, I was talking about the cities.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wikia)
So why quote me? I didn't make a reference to the course whatsoever, I was talking about the cities.
You used the first it to refer to KCL and I assumed that the second it must also refer to KCL, in which cause there is good sense in comparing the diversity of KCL with Bristol Uni.

Even if you were only talking about the diversity of the city as a whole, it is still helpful to know that the diversity of the courses themselves are not miles apart. After all, OP will not be studying with the city as a whole; he or she will be studying with other law students and will be sharing the university experience with other Bristol students.
tsn99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for the responses guys! I'm still waiting on a couple more schools to respond, so I'll probably hold off on a decision for a bit
PlayWithMarkers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I actually came in here today looking to ask a very similar question. I'm personally deciding on Bristol over KCL however, just like the idea of the city itself much more than being in the middle of London and the pricetags that come along with it - not that Bristol is cheap. Lots to like about Bristol, and it has great ties with city firms even if it's not in the middle of London itself.
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Everyone's right that it really doesn't matter which of those unis you go to.

On that basis, I advise living in London if you have the money to live reasonably well there, and to Bristol if you don't. London is great fun if you can afford to go out and do things, but it's probably pretty miserable, and quite certainly pointless, to live there otherwise.

Do some research and a bit of budgeting. See what figures pop out after rent, bills, and travel for London, and see if it's enough to actually enjoy what the city has to offer in a meaningful way.
Rkuda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tsn99)
Bristol is something like the third most employable university after Oxford and Cambridge- But loads of lawyers I've met at marketing events via college have gone to Kings. Overall I think both are quite good! Both are also ranked in the top 10 for law too- so it's really just which location you'd prefer; housing in Bristol is much cheaper, but in London you get a higher maintenance fee to cover the costs of living I'm pretty sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (409)
67.49%
No (197)
32.51%

Watched Threads