Managing severe exam stress/nerves

Watch this thread
username3750352
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey,
so was hoping someone would be able to help me- I'm taking my GCSEs this summer. I don't have any current anxiety problem or anything, but nearly every time I take an exam (we just had our mocks) I get really panicked, and when i say really panicked, I mean like a full- blown panic attack.
In my maths mock, I had to leave my exam because of my panic attack because I was having problems breathing. It was super scary, but I'm really worried that it will happen again.
Before I have gone to maths lessons in the past couple of weeks, I have felt panic rising inside me.
For my mock, I put in so much hard work for maths, but when I went in, something inside me just started telling me "you can't do this, you suck at maths etc." and so that triggered my panic attack.

I would really appreciate it if someone could talk to me about this, or offer some advice as not only is it really scary, but I think that it is definitely affecting my confidence and my results.
Laura xx
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by laura.wick)
Hey,
so was hoping someone would be able to help me- I'm taking my GCSEs this summer. I don't have any current anxiety problem or anything, but nearly every time I take an exam (we just had our mocks) I get really panicked, and when i say really panicked, I mean like a full- blown panic attack.
In my maths mock, I had to leave my exam because of my panic attack because I was having problems breathing. It was super scary, but I'm really worried that it will happen again.
Before I have gone to maths lessons in the past couple of weeks, I have felt panic rising inside me.
For my mock, I put in so much hard work for maths, but when I went in, something inside me just started telling me "you can't do this, you suck at maths etc." and so that triggered my panic attack.

I would really appreciate it if someone could talk to me about this, or offer some advice as not only is it really scary, but I think that it is definitely affecting my confidence and my results.
Laura xx
Why do you panic? Its ok to feel nervous doing an exam but if its affecting your breathing then thats another story.
Its unnecessary. Do you get a build up of anticipation before an exam?
username3750352
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by HateOCR)
Why do you panic? Its ok to feel nervous doing an exam but if its affecting your breathing then thats another story.
Its unnecessary. Do you get a build up of anticipation before an exam?
I'm not completely sure- like even though I'm obviously nervous for my exams, I don't think that this is what is causing me to panic so much...
I think perhaps it's the fact that my brain is telling me I can't do it; so I get so worked up that I won't be able to answer any of the questions which just sets me off into such a panic!
Any tips on how to stop this? It's so annoying that I put in all this work but it's my own thoughts that are stoppping me from doing as well as I could
x
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by laura.wick)
I'm not completely sure- like even though I'm obviously nervous for my exams, I don't think that this is what is causing me to panic so much...
I think perhaps it's the fact that my brain is telling me I can't do it; so I get so worked up that I won't be able to answer any of the questions which just sets me off into such a panic!
Any tips on how to stop this? It's so annoying that I put in all this work but it's my own thoughts that are stoppping me from doing as well as I could
x
Discuss your nervousness with your friends. I guess it could give you comfort knowing you aren’t the only one whos scared of doing exams. I used to be like you in year 9 (panic but not serious to the point where i have breathing problems)
Honestly, don’t make the exam seem scarier than it is.
The worst thing thats possible is that you keep telling yourself you will do bad and then look back after you’ve finished your exam and feel even worse and then the cycle continues and you get more nervous.
You will sit over 20 exams over your GCSE and A-levels so the earlier you can relax the better you will do.
Wouldn’t it suck if you spent soooo long revising but ended up not answering on the paper because of your pantsy panic attacks?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (73)
18.91%
The paper was reasonable (146)
37.82%
Not feeling great about that exam... (111)
28.76%
It was TERRIBLE (56)
14.51%

Watched Threads