Report 3 years ago
Dump school and run instead
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Atomix)
So right now i'm stuck between choosing between 2 A Levels. I want to study History and Politics, but for my 3rd choice I would choose either Sociology or English Literature. I enjoy both subjects, but they both have downsides; English Lit is facilitating but I don't feel as if i could get as good a grade in it, but Sociology is not facilitating and looked down upon, so I don't know if that would damage my chances of getting into a good uni or not. I probably would do Politics and International Relations, Law, Social Policy or Criminology at uni.
Have a look at http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-studen...l-and-college/ and download the Informed Choices document.

Also go through the websites of a few good unis for the courses you are interested in. I'm pretty sure you will find that History, Politics and Sociology would be perfectly fine as a combination.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks, I've already looked through that booklet, also many posts on TSR are contradictory, some people say that facilitating subjects matter and some say they don't, so it's hard to know what is true and what isn't.
This is why I said go and look at actual uni websites as well.

For example, LSE is one of the highest-ranking, and academically traditional universities in the country. Have a look at its list of 'generally preferred subjects' on http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...y-Requirements. The list includes, History, Politics and... Sociology.

All three are also on UCL's list at https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...level-subjects

Cambridge don't list it as a 'good choice' for any Arts or Social Science degree, but say it can be useful - depending on subject studied. https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....ct_matters.pdf

Oh, and many people on TSR don't know what they're talking about.
Irumcxxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
100% sociology its common sense and way easier
Beth286
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So right now i'm stuck between choosing between 2 A Levels. I want to study History and Politics, but for my 3rd choice I would choose either Sociology or English Literature. I enjoy both subjects, but they both have downsides; English Lit is facilitating but I don't feel as if i could get as good a grade in it, but Sociology is not facilitating and looked down upon, so I don't know if that would damage my chances of getting into a good uni or not. I probably would do Politics and International Relations, Law, Social Policy or Criminology at uni.
I would recommend taking English Literature, Sociology, History and Politics, and then drop the one you don’t like. If you want to go to a Russell group uni you need to have 2 fascilitating subject, so History and English Lit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.82%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (75)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (91)
12.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (40)
5.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (76)
10.8%
Financial worries (44)
6.25%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
5.97%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (23)
3.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (68)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (55)
7.81%

Watched Threads