The Student Room Group

Can I get into university for Biomedical Science with these options?

I’m currently in Year 11 studying for my GCSEs and I want to become a gynaecologist when I’m older but when I go to university and take a biomedical science degree first. I am expected low grades for GCSEs because my school never received my SATs score from primary school, I hopefully want to get:

English Literature - 7/6 (A-B)
English Language 7/8 (A/A*)
Maths - 5 (C)
Combined science - 77 (AA)
Religious Studies - 5/6 (C/B)
French - 5 (C)
Computer Science - 5 (C)
Geography - 6/7/8 (B/A/A*)

I’m thinking of taking for sixth form/college:
A level Chemistry
A level Biology
Level 3 Applied Science

Will I be able to get into university with 2 a levels and a btec or should I drop Applied science and choose a A level subject? PLEASE HELP!!
Reply 1
Drop Level 3 Applied Science and pick up another subject at A Level. Clearly Maths isn't your thing, but it would help your application if you were to meet the entry requirements for the A level as it's highly respected (and I presume many other applicants will have it).
You need 3 A levels really or you may find your options seriously restricted. Universities tend not to care what the 3rd A level is in providing you have biology and chem, so how about taking English Literature.
One person at my school has offers for biomed with A level in Bio, Chem and English Lit
Reply 3
You need to study medicine to be a gynaecologist, not biomedical science
Reply 4
Can I study medicine as a postgraduate?
Reply 5
And English Literature is actually what I’m thinking of taking as a possible 3rd a level because my current English teacher offered me to take it because that is one of my strongest subjects.
You can study postgrad medicine, but it is very competitive- more so than undergrad medicine. If it's an option for you, I would change to do 3 A-levels- I believe for biomedical science this is required, and for medicine it definitely is.
What are your reasons for wanting to do biomed first? In the first few years of a medicine course, you learn a lot of the same content as biomed- pretty sure you are even in the same lectures. If you did both, you would be at uni for 8-9 years (and I also believe you don't get government funding for a second degree..I may be wrong though).
Reply 7
My reasons for doing biomed is that I thought if I took that degree first, I could possibly get into doing medicine because I feel like I wouldn’t get into a uni for undergraduate medicine because of my yet to be gcse grades
Original post by mk1212
I’m currently in Year 11 studying for my GCSEs and I want to become a gynaecologist when I’m older but when I go to university and take a biomedical science degree first. I am expected low grades for GCSEs because my school never received my SATs score from primary school, I hopefully want to get:

Maths - 5 (C)
French - 5 (C)
Computer Science - 5 (C)

A level Chemistry
A level Biology
Level 3 Applied Science

Will I be able to get into university with 2 a levels and a btec or should I drop Applied science and choose a A level subject? PLEASE HELP!!

Yes, you can. You don't need to do applied science if you're doing Biology and Chemistry. Try to pick other subjects like psychology, sociology etc. My friend got into Biomed and she studied applied science, sociology and something else.
Reply 9
Thank you! I have decided to take A level English Literature as my third a level because its one of my strongest subjects and I enjoy it so much.
Original post by mk1212
Thank you! I have decided to take A level English Literature as my third a level because its one of my strongest subjects and I enjoy it so much.

Good choice, now work hard at GCSEs and you’ll be able to apply to medicine as an undergraduate and have a good chance of getting in. GCSEs are not the most important but just get the best grades you can
Reply 11
Thank you so so much! X
Original post by mk1212

Maths - 5 (C)
French - 5 (C)
Computer Science - 5 (C)

A level Chemistry
A level Biology
Level 3 Applied Science

Do a third a level as some universities don’t accept btecs. As long as you have two sciences just choose another string subject that you will enjoy. Chemistry is quite hard at a level so be prepared for that.
If you want to become a gynaecologist then I would recommend looking at university of Birmingham as they do a module on reproductive medieval and another in embryology and stem cells which most other biomed courses don’t, it’s great that you are looking so soon in what you want to do as that will give you a head start on doing stuff. Work experience is always a good idea with science course but it isn’t essential as long as you show interest ie read books, futurelearn courses (which are online and free), and magazines eg biological sciences review are all a good way to show this. You could also do an EPQ around the subject.
I have probably gone into way more depth than was needed and I hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any questions about biology or chemistry at a level or applying biomedical sciences.
Reply 13
This was the most HELPFUL ADVICE EVER! Thank you so much!!❤️ I will definitely look at Birmingham
Original post by mk1212

Maths - 5 (C)
French - 5 (C)
Computer Science - 5 (C)

A level Chemistry
A level Biology
Level 3 Applied Science

I graduated with a degree in Biomedical Science last year.

As has already been said, you ideally need 3 A levels to get into any respectable university. I would encourage you to go straight for Medicine and skip Biomedical Science if you can - a lot of people on my course wanted to do postgraduate medicine, however only a couple of the highest performing students were successful.

For Medicine, you will need A level Chemistry and one other core science to include either Biology or Physics. For undergraduate entry Medicine you will need at least 3 A's at A level to study Medicine, and when people are not on track to achieve this they tend to go for Biomedical Science in the middle. For Biomedical Science, having either Biology or Chemistry (although ideally both) is normally accepted.

May I ask why you want to study Biomedical Science if you want to ultimately go into Medicine?
Reply 15
I feel like going into undergraduate medicine is very VERY competitive and I won’t have a chance of getting in.
Original post by mk1212
I feel like going into undergraduate medicine is very VERY competitive and I won’t have a chance of getting in.

You're thinking very far ahead. People start applying for university while they are doing their A2's. You will have a much clearer idea of which path to take once you have your AS results. If you achieve A grades at AS and have some kind of work experience to back it up, like volunteering or shadowing, I would say you're in with a strong chance for Medicine. If I remember correctly most people in my sixth form who were serious about medicine got offers at undergraduate. Also, on the whole postgraduate medicine is far more competitive than undergraduate.

If however you achieve B/C grades at AS, or even lower tbh, I would say apply for Biomedical Science (as you will definitely get in), then go for postgraduate medicine. You will still need a fairly strong Chemistry A level though, if you want to take this route.

Good luck!

Quick Reply