The Student Room Group

“If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella

Your argument seems to me to be that a vote is only valid if voters are exposed to the correct information, which comes very close to saying that it is only valid if it reaches the correct conclusion.

These aren't the same though and the former is certainly something an effective democracy should aim for.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
These aren't the same though and the former is certainly something an effective democracy should aim for.

Sure. We should all aim to get good information out into the public sphere. We just shouldn't seek to invalidate votes on the basis that we don't agree with how some sections of the media reported certain matters, or on how certain political factions put their arguments.

Although they're not exactly the same thing, a complaint that a particular argument wasn't dealt with publicly in the way you'd have liked does easily merge into an argument that the wrong answer was reached. If all of the information and arguments were dealt with as you personally would have liked, then it would be reasonable to expect that the process would give the answer you wanted, because that would generally involve everyone seeing things in the same way as you.
I'd like a referendum on the deal. If that is agreed to then the EU will realise that they cannot offer us one that is a punishment for leaving. A deal costing £140bn or so or more to the public purse over 20 years would not I think be supported by the British people.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That is a quote from the Brexit Secretary, David Davis.
http://www.daviddavismp.com/david-davis-mp-delivers-speech-on-the-opportunities-for-a-referendum-on-europe/

On Tuesday, the Lords begin the debate on the EU Withdrawal Bill. There is talk that they could add an ammendment ensuring that both Parliament and people get to approve any final deal.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/28/house-of-lords-has-right-to-ask-commons-to-reconsider-brexit

This is obviously the right way to go. We need a second referendum and most people now agree - ICM polling the other day showed a 47-34 majority in favour of a second poll.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-second-referendum-britons-support-icm-poll-survey-a8180456.html

At the very least, we need the chance to review if we should remain in the Single Market. This was not put before the electorate in the EU referendum. Also, major lies were told by the Leave campaign and systematically spread by their allies in the dominant right wing media, most of which is owned by offshore oligarchs and serves the financial interests of other countries and foreign individuals.

The first poll was also manipulated by Russia and by hedge funds that have an interest in the collapse of sterling and the UK economy. The basis of the referendum was wrong, prohibiting overseas UK citizens from voting (yet they are entitled to UK pensions, etc) and not setting a minimum majority, as in other referenda globally on key national decisions.

Question, would you be okay with leavers advocating for a second referendum this soon after the first if they had lost?
Because everything they say is cast in a pillar of stone. :lol:

Well, we know one thing is cast in stone.

Brexit means Brexit.
Original post by JoshDawg

Brexit means Brexit.

Whatever that means.
Original post by limetang
Question, would you be okay with leavers advocating for a second referendum this soon after the first if they had lost?

Well, we know Farage was advocating that in the early stages of referendum night, when he thought Leave were losing. Sauce for the goose and all that.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Alright, fine. So we're agreed that a second referendum solves nothing. That's really all I set out to demonstrate.

I haven't said it's plausible that a second referendum would be on the basic in/out decision - I merely said that would be my own preference. Clearly a second referendum would be about the terms of leaving. The government will negotiate something with the EU and it is that we should be allowed to vote on. It is completely unacceptable for example that much of the economy should be wrecked by leaving the Single Market, purely to serve the interests of some hedge funds. Similarly, we should not be permitting the exploitation of simple-minded reflex racism in the population by UKIP and some Tories to determine our economic future as a nation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Well, we know Farage was advocating that in the early stages of referendum night, when he thought Leave were losing. Sauce for the goose and all that.

The question was would you advocate a second referedum this soon if the leavers had lost?

Forget about what politicians have said.

And he was criticised for it by the same people who are now advocating a second referendum
Original post by CountBrandenburg
Hi how is my second favourite liberal doing? :tongue:
Yes I know that a second referendum isn’t exclusive to the remainer side, and I honestly can’t blame some people wanting to have a vote on the outcome ( as long as the Brexit process is reversed). Though I’d argue that we have had our say and offering another referendum so soon would sort of undermine the process, and would be quite costly

We didn't have a say because there was nothing presented to have a say on.

Leave voters voted against the status quo, not on the UK's future relationship with the EU. That is why we need a second referendum - to allow our people to vote when the nature of Brexit is actually clear.
Reply 31
A 60% majority should be required. No other country would allow such a crucial decision to be made by 52%.

There should be a review of press ownership and sanctions against the tax positions of the fake nondoms who own the major right wing media interests. In particular, Murdoch should be forced out of owning UK media, as he is an undesirable person.

Strict financial controls are needed to ensure that there can be no repeat of Leave handing vast sums to students to channel to Russian tweet machines and US-based data miners acting on behalf of hedge funds.

I presume you will want the same standards imposed upon the Remain campaign too? (And don't you dare try to claim there wasn't/isn't skullduggery on the Remain side)
Well personally I would favour a complete invalidation of the original referendum, which should be declared null and void due to rigging and criminal behaviour in the Leave campaign.

As you say, that won't happen, because the same conspirators who provided the distorted first referendum (who in my opinion, despite his pretenses, included Cameron) are still in charge with the help of the equally corrupt DUP.

I am sure you feel happy with the current state of democracy where these are the people determining our national future. :rolleyes:

Because clearly the remain campaign were always so truthful. Furthermore, the election was not rigged.
Original post by Andrew97
Because clearly the remain campaign were always so truthful. Furthermore, the election was not rigged.

It was heavily rigged in favour of a Leave vote, by:

- prohibiting UK citizens from voting who live elsewhere in the EU

- blocking new electoral registers from being produced in Remain areas

- allowing flagrant and even criminal breaches of electoral spending law, particularly those of the Leave campaign

- failing to secure balanced airtime, with hugely disproportionate airtime given in particular to Nigel Farage, who is not even an MP and has never been elected to anything outside the EU Parliament

- allowing the latter to breach EU laws prohibiting transfer of funds from the EU to UKIP

I could go on, there are many more examples.
Reply 34
At the very least, we need the chance to review if we should remain in the Single Market. This was not put before the electorate in the EU referendum. Also, major lies were told by the Leave campaign and systematically spread by their allies in the dominant right wing media, most of which is owned by offshore oligarchs and serves the financial interests of other countries and foreign individuals.

But at the 2017 general election, both the elected government and opposition committed to leave the single market. Either you have a representative democracy where the elected government does what it was elected to do, or you have direct democracy where the people make binding decisions like to leave the EU.

The only system to do what you want and remain in effect is a dictatorship where the electorate are ignored and a small unrepresentative group decide everything.

Also what lies did the leave campaign tell?
Original post by bob072
But at the 2017 general election, both the elected government and opposition committed to leave the single market. Either you have a representative democracy where the elected government does what it was elected to do, or you have direct democracy where the people make binding decisions like to leave the EU.

The only system to do what you want and remain in effect is a dictatorship where the electorate are ignored and a small unrepresentative group decide everything.

Also what lies did the leave campaign tell?

Here is the Conservative Manifesto 2017.
https://www.conservatives.com/manifesto

And the Labour one.
https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/labour-manifesto-2017.pdf

There is no mention of the Single Market at all in the Tory one.

The Labour one says (page 24):
"We will scrap the Conservatives’ Brexit White Paper and replace it with fresh negotiating priorities that have a strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single 0arket and the Customs Union which are essential for maintaining industries, jobs and businesses in Britain. Labour will always put jobs and the economy first."
Original post by Trapz99
The Prime Minister and the government have confirmed that a second referendum will not be taking place. There is no point in discussing this since it is not a possibility- the government and PM have made that clear.

The PM made it abundantly clear that there was not going to be a snap general election when she became PM. OK, there wasn't one straight away but it certainly wasn't in 2020 like originally promised.
Original post by Manitude
The PM made it abundantly clear that there was not going to be a snap general election when she became PM. OK, there wasn't one straight away but it certainly wasn't in 2020 like originally promised.

It seems increasingly likely that there will be one - if only because squaring the circle of staying in the Single Market and Customs Union - which we have to - with the ludicrous demands of idiot Tory backbenchers is impossible. How better to deal with it than hand it over to Labour?
Reply 38
Here is the Conservative Manifesto 2017.
https://www.conservatives.com/manifesto

And the Labour one.
https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/labour-manifesto-2017.pdf

There is no mention of the Single Market at all in the Tory one.

The Labour one says (page 24):
"We will scrap the Conservatives’ Brexit White Paper and replace it with fresh negotiating priorities that have a strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single 0arket and the Customs Union which are essential for maintaining industries, jobs and businesses in Britain. Labour will always put jobs and the economy first."

Why are you complaining about leave campaigns lying without any evidence yet lying yourself.

The Conservative manifesto says:

'As we leave the European Union, we will no longer be members of the single market or customs union'

The Labour section on brexit is all about a new deal outside the single market:

'Labour accepts the referendum result...We will build a close new relationship with the EU...We will build a close co-operative future relationship with the EU, not as members but as partners'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj5cxFZHtOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4okLzPWPAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21fH-wgsn0o
It was heavily rigged in favour of a Leave vote, by:

- prohibiting UK citizens from voting who live elsewhere in the EU

- blocking new electoral registers from being produced in Remain areas

- allowing flagrant and even criminal breaches of electoral spending law, particularly those of the Leave campaign

- failing to secure balanced airtime, with hugely disproportionate airtime given in particular to Nigel Farage, who is not even an MP and has never been elected to anything outside the EU Parliament

- allowing the latter to breach EU laws prohibiting transfer of funds from the EU to UKIP

I could go on, there are many more examples.

It was fair for Farage to get a lot of screen time, as one of the most important lobbyists for a UK withdrawal. Whether I think his current screen time is just is unnecessary, at the time, he, and other prominent Brexit advocates, were given a good amount of screen time, as were prominent remainers, many from the front benches. To suggest malpractice was commuted solely by the leave side is close-minded, I’m sure the same could easily be said of the remain side.
New electoral registers in remain areas sounds purely hypothetical and it’s not something I have heard of before. It in fact sounds as ridiculous as Putin rigging the referendum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending