The Student Room Group

“If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
See this is why it could never have worked between us >.>

We had instant chemistry and 100s of good things to share but you’re gonna call it all off over one small thing?

Although you being in the ‘lets Leave the eu but stay in the single market’ party makes me question your logic and hence your whole character, I bet it was all a façade
Original post by Zxyn
We had instant chemistry and 100s of good things to share but you’re gonna call it all off over one small thing?

Although you being in the ‘lets Leave the eu but stay in the single market’ party makes me question your logic and hence your whole character, I bet it was all a façade

Nah, I'm in the 'let's stay in the EU AND the single market' party, but I'll take what I can get.
Everybody in the UK has the chance to change their mind.. In 2019.. By voting Lib Dem.
Reply 63
Original post by Rakas21
Everybody in the UK has the chance to change their mind.. In 2019.. By voting Lib Dem.

Once Britain is out its out... you can't simply undo it.
Reply 64
Original post by Rakas21

What's happening in 2019?
Reply 65
Nah, I'm in the 'let's stay in the EU AND the single market' party, but I'll take what I can get.

If we're being honest there's next to no one who really wants to leave the EU but remain in the single market. Those who advocate it generally are remainers who want the democratic outcome to be stopped.
Original post by Napp
Once Britain is out its out... you can't simply undo it.

The transition period will just be made to be neverending in that scenario until the Libs get their second referendum.

In reality of course most people don't care enough about Brexit and will vote for the euro-skeptic comrade while never stopping complaining.

I of course still think that there's a reasonable chance the Tories will hold power after the next election as things stand.
Original post by bob072
What's happening in 2019?

I and some political commentators are of the opinion that Brexit won't go through without some kind of further mandate. That likely means an election. Further, the DUP deal only goes to 2019 as things stand so i think it's likely again that it's only intended as a patch job.. election.

This assumes that the Tories are still at least level pegging in the polls come this time next year.
Reply 68
Original post by Rakas21
The transition period will just be made to be neverending in that scenario until the Libs get their second referendum.

In reality of course most people don't care enough about Brexit and will vote for the euro-skeptic comrade while never stopping complaining.

I of course still think that there's a reasonable chance the Tories will hold power after the next election as things stand.

Why do you say the libs as if it is only them? Whilst the other MPs might be obliged to pay lip service to these Brexit shenanigans, due to not wanting to get the boot and all.
The what sorry?
I bloody well hope not - whether Brexit, in thoery, could be made a success or not the way the Tories are going about it - and doing their best to **** it up - is heinous. Alas having a militant in opposition doesnt help so much although he is starting to grow on me :rolleyes:
Original post by Napp
Why do you say the libs as if it is only them? Whilst the other MPs might be obliged to pay lip service to these Brexit shenanigans, due to not wanting to get the boot and all.
The what sorry?
I bloody well hope not - whether Brexit, in thoery, could be made a success or not the way the Tories are going about it - and doing their best to **** it up - is heinous. Alas having a militant in opposition doesnt help so much although he is starting to grow on me :rolleyes:

Because Labour did not just pay lip service, they put leaving the single market in the manifesto. Anybody who values remaining above all else and votes Labour is incredibly stupid, they will not protect you. Only the Libs, Greens and Nats will actually reverse it or even stall it.

It will be fine, they are unlikely to screw up or get something terrific so i expect minimal change for the better part of the next decade.

Horrid. I despise Corbyn, at least prior leaders like Miliband i could respect.
Reply 70
Original post by Rakas21
Because Labour did not just pay lip service, they put leaving the single market in the manifesto. Anybody who values remaining above all else and votes Labour is incredibly stupid, they will not protect you. Only the Libs, Greens and Nats will actually reverse it or even stall it.

It will be fine, they are unlikely to screw up or get something terrific so i expect minimal change for the better part of the next decade.

Horrid. I despise Corbyn, at least prior leaders like Miliband i could respect.

I more meant the individual MPs, on the whole, don't support Brexit outside of the broad party line.
Mm voting for the SNP could be tricky down south I must say.
The available evidence would beg to differ. Considering these extremsist have been lobbying to leave the EU for 2 decades + it's quite impressive they have little to no clue on how or what to do about it.
I like his foreign policy if not his domestic one :biggrin: Hmm Miliband always came across as a back stabbing slime ball, I get politicos are meant to be amoral and vacuous but him [and Gove] really take the cake.
Reply 71
Nick (now lord) clegg kicked out of parliament by his constituents.

But continues unabated to reject democracy and call for another vote until us thickies get it right.

Actually he got it wrong.

How about respecting the free democratic vote in the uk and talking the country up??
Reply 72
Original post by Dmac1
Nick (now lord) clegg kicked out of parliament by his constituents.

But continues unabated to reject democracy and call for another vote until us thickies get it right.

Actually he got it wrong.

How about respecting the free democratic vote in the uk and talking the country up??

Don't be absurd, if he did that he won't be able to have the luxury lifestyle and salary of a job in Brussels. It doesn't matter if the electorate detest you and you break promises with the EU because nobody important has to have the hassle of being elected first!
Reply 73
Couldn't agree more.

When was the last time a campaign was run "but British" it was many many years ago.

Why not recently? Because it's against eu law!!!!
It's not pc to say this but let us not forget our furious frustration with eu court telling us we could not deport terrorists because it was against their human rights.
The remoaners are just feeding the eu negotiators with confidence that they can punnish the U.K. For daring to say no more ever closer union.

Punnish? Punnish????
Punnish???????

How bloody dare they, and what happened to our so called "friends"?

In my book the second word is "off""
Reply 74

Hmmm stick to the EU, no time for that hokey pokey stuff
Original post by Rakas21

Is that how we leaved?

By voting UKIP into government?

lol
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Is that how we leaved?

By voting UKIP into government?

lol

By giving the Tories a plurality (a party which in 2015 promised a referendum and then in 2017 promised hard brexit).
Original post by Rakas21
By giving the Tories a plurality (a party which in 2015 promised a referendum and then in 2017 promised hard brexit).

Hence why there are remainers saying Labour should offer a seconf referendum at a GE.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Hence why there are remainers saying Labour should offer a seconf referendum at a GE.

Yes but they won't. People hoping Labour will do anything but capitulate/silently accept Brexit are naive.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

This is obviously the right way to go. We need a second referendum and most people now agree

We had a second referendum. It was the general election earlier this year in which both major parties committed to leaving the EU and single market. People had the option to vote Liberal Democrat, and by and large they chose not to.

Our MPs have now voted repeatedly on this issue in favour of leaving. We have had a referendum. We have had a general election in support of leaving the EU. It would be deeply undemocratic for the Lords to attempt to stymie this, and May would be well within her rights to create dozens of new peers to force the bill through.

Leaving the EU and staying in the Single Market is a contradiction in terms, it undermines the entire point of Brexit (sovereignty). If you leave the EU but stay in the single market then you are signing up to a fundamentally undemocratic situation where Britain will be bound by laws in which it has no say. It's difficult to see how any thinking person could be in favour of such a thing. The UK would be better off staying in the EU entirely, or leaving entirely, than leaving but staying in the single market.

The first poll was also manipulated by Russia

Where is the evidence of that? Where is the evidence that Russia had any widespread involvement in the EU referendum, and that if they did, it actually impacted the vote?

It can just as easily be argued that the United States intervened with repeated public comments calling on the UK to vote Remain, as did almost the entire financial industry and firms like Goldman Sachs (hence the utterly laughable nature of the conspiracy theory that hedge funds orchestrated the Leave vote). As it happens, I don't argue any of that. I say that the privacy of the ballot box is sacred, and that you cannot enquire into the reasons people voted. The fact is they did vote to Leave and you have to accept that.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending