The Student Room Group
Original post by Equil9nityp
How many paragraphs do you suggest doing for a 24 marker? I've heard loads of times it's quality not quantity but I just want a suggestion.
Thanks in advance.

I don't know which subject this is for, probably English or History, but I would suggest 4-5 paragraphs. If you tell me which subject it's for, I can probably tell you what to include in your answer. Hope this has helped you, :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks so much! It's for English Literature unseen poetry. Bear in mind in in year 9 and for the assessment we are only doing the 24 marker question and 8 marker comparison question. (In a one-hour time frame)
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks so much! It's for English Literature unseen poetry. Bear in mind in in year 9 and for the assessment we are only doing the 24 marker comparison question and 8 marker comparison question. (In a one hour time frame)

If your in year 9, then you will not be doing the entire GCSE scope(unless your school start them early?). For a 24 marker comparison you will probably want to do an introduction paragraph, 3 different comparison points, and a conclusion. Remember, always stay clear to your question, and answer what it's telling you to do, don't deviate! People usually lose marks from deviation. Choose 3 strong comparison points so you can really push your argument through, and explain how they link to the question, using comparative language, like "In contrast to" and "On the other hand". Embed your quotes, so you can "fluidly embed them to gain more marks", and watch out for punctuation. A lack of a full stop brought me down to 96% on my last English paper, instead of 100%, so don't forget! Good luck :smile:
The 24 Marker is not a comparison... The 8 marker is. The 8 marker allows you to give the similarities and differences between two unseen poems. The 24 marker exemplar: In the poem 'Slow Read' by Vicki Feaver how does the speaker feel about the child learning to read and how does the poet present these ideas. Thanks for the telling about the use of comparison points. I really didn't think of that! Yes, my school does start the GCSE early for all subjects from Year 9 (it's one of the best state schools in my area may I add)
The 24 Marker is not a comparison... The 8 marker is. The 8 marker allows you to give the similarities and differences between two unseen poems. The 24 marker exemplar: In the poem 'Slow Read' by Vicki Feaver how does the speaker feel about the child learning to read and how does the poet present these ideas. Thanks for the telling about the use of comparison points. I really didn't think of that! Yes, my school does start the GCSE early for all subjects from Year 9 (it's one of the best state schools in my area may I add)

Sorry I was offline for a while, and sorry for making this mistake. For the 8 marker, just do what was said for the 24 marker, but on a smaller scale. For the 24 marker, I have not read Slow Read, but I advise you to make notes on the poem before answering, underline key phrases and vocabulary which you could use as quotes, such as particularly strong words you can read and analyse. Use a strong introduction, with a clear intro to the essay. Then start your 3 paragraphs. For each one, use a quote which you have underlined, then explain how it shows the speaker's feeling about the child learning to read, then use both subject terminology(examiners love that), so techniques used in the phrase by the poet, and then explain how the poet presents said ideas(you could use a more complex structure, if you can find a more advanced one). If you can, embed the quote into your paragraph. Repeat this 3 times, each time linking your answer to the question by explaining not only what techniques are used, but also in detail explaining HOW the poet presents the ideas, because the real marks will probably be there. You also want a strong conclusion as well as introduction, so keep it focused and to the point. Good luck with your essay :smile:

P.s If you ask your school, they could tell you what your set poems are/what poems you will be studying in future, so you can get ahead and read/make notes/learn quotes and themes from all of them, which will really be helpful for your essays!
Thanks so much. One last thing. What should I do set myself above the rest and guarantee a high grade?
Thanks so much. One last thing. What should I do set myself above the rest and guarantee a high grade?

I'd just go with what I've said previously, but I think that as I have said previously, something which really makes a difference is the form of vocabulary that you choose to integrate into your response, as the examiners(in my experience) like good vocabulary. This may seem an obvious one, but CHECK FOR SPELLING MISTAKES, as most people think this is so obvious, but forget to, and in consequence lose SPaG marks, so don't forget to do that. I advise asking you teacher for further help, happy to have been useful :smile:
Nope, there are no shortcuts in life and there is one way in life and that is by putting in 100% effort and trying your best and if you get something wrong, you dont cheat the next time, you learn from your mistakes.
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest