Stewart_barker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’m currently doing first year Criminology at Leicester and I’m hoping to switch to Law&Crim at the beginning of next year. Can anyone tell me if this is possible or not as I’ve heard certain modules in the first year Law course count and I would therefore be unable to do so.

Basically does the first year of Law and Crim count or not?
RiddIes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Stewart_barker)
I’m currently doing first year Criminology at Leicester and I’m hoping to switch to Law&Crim at the beginning of next year. Can anyone tell me if this is possible or not as I’ve heard certain modules in the first year Law course count and I would therefore be unable to do so.

Basically does the first year of Law and Crim count or not?
I have not heard of someone being able to switch from a different first year course to a second year law degree, and criminology is not as close to a law degree as people make out. It will probably be a case of if you want to do Law and Crim then you need to restart from first year not just miss first year and go into second year.

This is because of two reasons; 1) most second year modules require some knowledge of first year modules (although this depends on the uni and the modules offered) 2) obviously you do not have any knowledge of law modules and for a university to throw you into second year without knowledge of the basics will probably be detrimental to your overall degree.

My advice will be even if they allow you do not do it, as you will find yourself struggling. Most people struggle with second and third year as it is and without knowing the basics you pick up in first year it might be that it causes you to get bad marks etc.

Also, why is it that you want to swap anyway?
Stewart_barker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I did Law at A Level and got an A so I have a bit of legal knowledge already. If they let me I would do all the extra work in my own time anyway.

I wanted to do Law to start with but fell slightly below the entry requirements so they offered me Criminology instead.

I appreciate your response though, thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
28.03%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.92%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.05%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.01%

Watched Threads