The Student Room Group

Chemistry (#2) sorry lol

The question says:

"Air surrounds an open electric switch in a circuit but no current flows. Explain what this tells you about air, and the elements and compounds in contains."

(I know what the elements and compounds are in air, but I'm a bit confused about what it wants me to say about them?)
I think it just wants you to say that none of the compounds/elements conduct electricity.
air is an insulator.

Original post by MollieMia
I think it just wants you to say that none of the compounds/elements conduct electricity.

what this person said.
d out How many marks is this worth?

If it's only 2 or 3, you only really need to say that this means that the compounds in the air cannot carry electricity. Maybe add something about how as air is a gas, the compounds will be very spread out, so even if the air contained a compound which can carry electricity, it would be too spread out
Reply 4
Original post by 32894075890234
d out How many marks is this worth?

If it's only 2 or 3, you only really need to say that this means that the compounds in the air cannot carry electricity. Maybe add something about how as air is a gas, the compounds will be very spread out, so even if the air contained a compound which can carry electricity, it would be too spread out

It's worth 4.
Reply 5
Well since air consists of only simple covalent compounds that do not conduct electricity, you can say that the constituent elements that make up air do not conduct electricity because they do not have ions present.
Original post by dais_071
It's worth 4.

Talk about how air is mainly nitrogen and oxygen, and how neither of them conduct electricity
Reply 7
Thank you everyone for the advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest