Jeremy Corbyn and Sadiq Khan both went to London Met, does uni prestige matter?

Watch this thread
Appleorpear
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Discuss.
KeirCKF
Badges: 13
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Should have moved to Educational Debates section instead.
JMR2021_
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I thought Jeremy Corbyn didn't go to university?
StevetheIcecube
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
London Met didn't exist when either of them went to university, afaik. They both went to the university that preceded London Met and Sadiq Khan also went to the University of Law.

However, it does bring to attention a pretty good point, but on the other hand Jeremy Corbyn isn't a 'traditional' politician.
tylerthegooatt
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It does. If you're using the world of politics as an example, you should know both of them are very non-traditional and ultimately its Oxford and it's deep rooted connections to westminster that will give you the best chance of breaking in.

At the end of the day, employers are hiring you not your degree. However going to top unis mean making better connections to industry + alumni and just better opportunities in general.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It's an advantage to do the usual PPE at Oxford but not required.. I'll just leave this here (never went to uni at all)..

username3750700
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
It's an advantage to do the usual PPE at Oxford but not required.. I'll just leave this here (never went to uni at all)..

Oh please. This is the classist equivalent of taking a picture with a black person and saying you're not racist. No, you're probably racist.

Also he went to a grammar school.
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tylerthegoat)

Also he went to a grammar school.
He went to grammar school at a time when over 25% of all secondary age children in England attended local authority grammar schools and thousands more attended direct grant grammar schools.
Anagogic
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It all comes down to the individual. While going to oxbridge or something of that stature defiantly makes life easier where doors will be presented to you right from the offset in the working world results are all that matter. Whether you go to london met or oxford as long as you can produce results no one will care...
username3672344
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Shame that much of your party despises him now.
username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
AryanGh you're jezza and i'm khan
the bear
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Jezza found the pressure at the University of North London too intense and dropped out after a year.
Rakas21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DeBruyne18)
Shame that much of your party despises him now.
He polls pretty well and i know many Tories that like him. It's only a small subset who continue to hate him.
username3672344
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
He polls pretty well and i know many Tories that like him. It's only a small subset who continue to hate him.
A big chunk of Brexiteers despise him.
He should have played a more frontal role in the EU referendum. Even Labour voters find it hard to dislike him.
Trapz99
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JMR2018)
I thought Jeremy Corbyn didn't go to university?
He did but he never graduated- he dropped out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (11)
13.25%
The paper was reasonable (39)
46.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (26)
31.33%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
8.43%

Watched Threads