The Student Room Group

Medicine through time: role of the Church as a help and hindrance

Hi, does anyone know how the Church helped medical progress in the Medieval Period apart from that is was the 1st Public health institution to offer the 1st forms of medical care for people(well, that can be analysed later as they refused the lepers and breastfeeding babies for some reason etc.)?

Thanks in advance
promoted galen's ideas which was pretty important :smile:
pm me if you want more detailed analysis of helping and hindering - i did a sheet on it :dontknow:
OK,will do.Thank you! I was thinking that that could be a hindrance (because of the spread and promotion of the incorrect ideas from the monks in the monasteries) but also a help as it was the 1st time someone based a scientific idea on natural observation rather than take the churches word for explaining the things they didnt understand?
I love discussions on medical history!

Without the church many of the poorest peasants would not have been able to receive treatment as churches often had treatment rooms for the sick. However the church was against research and were against hygienic practices which resulted in the spread of many disease such a Bubonic Plague.
Oh i see ,thanks! Were all other treatments that weren't attached to the church and their rooms in the monasteries not free then and if so what other alternatives did the rich have because i know that they gave money to the church to make the facilities better but cant quite remember why or when.
Original post by GreenZebras
Oh i see ,thanks! Were all other treatments that weren't attached to the church and their rooms in the monasteries not free then and if so what other alternatives did the rich have because i know that they gave money to the church to make the facilities better but cant quite remember why or when.

I'm not really sure but I know that the nobility often had the access of court physicians who studied at medical schools. However the understanding of the human body along with pathogens diseases was very underdeveloped as people did not conduct research out of fear of the church. The church had an immense amount of power and ruled every aspect of a persons life so if they did not agree with something then that person may be declared as "being associated with the devil". This led to people being burned and prevented people from getting educated.
Thank you!! wow thats really helpful. How do you know so much on the topic of medieval medicine? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest