Which GCSE revision books are the best for getting A's?

Watch
IItzRyan1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in Year 9 and looking for a good GCSE revisions book for Maths, Science ect... But don't know what to get. I'm hearing CGP are good but give you the minimal to pass. Is this true and are there better books?

henry_benn_BSc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
CGP is pretty good man, also spec-endorsed for maths and science
username3694440
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
CGPs are great
IItzRyan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by henry_benn_BSc)
CGP is pretty good man, also spec-endorsed for maths and science
ok, thanks
MimiSeneca
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Quite a few of the online resources are good, and give you the option to go more in-depth on the topics than revision books allow you to. They help get the higher grades.. I know that there are quite a few you have to pay for, like GCSEpod etc. But also free ones - there's one called Seneca launching that does it completely free, is exam board specific and gives you the info as well as testing you on it. Worth looking into when it comes out in March ?
But from the actual revision books, I've heard that CGP are the best !
MoulikaS2003
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I’m currently in Year 9 as well and for chemistry, I have a book called ‘Chemistry Second Edition for AQA’ and this has helped me get a good score for my test. I hope this helps.

Also, if you want to do well in subjects like English, Geography and History etc , I would suggest that you write assessment drafts and tell your teachers to mark them. I have gotten excellent results for History and Geography.

I don’t want to boast but these are my current grades.

History: 7b
Geography: 8b

I hope this advice helps and make the most of year 9 as it’s the last year before GCSEs.
bunnisuh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
CGP are really good for maths. For Sciences I prefer the Scholastic study guides as I prefer the layout. For History I use the brand myrevisionnotes. I’d say that you don’t really need study guides for anything other than Maths and Sciences (maybe Geography), so don’t go overboard. Also, check if your local library has any, so you can copy up notes and return it rather than spending lots.
LlamaLikeEllie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IItzRyan1)
I'm in Year 9 and looking for a good GCSE revisions book for Maths, Science ect... But don't know what to get. I'm hearing CGP are good but give you the minimal to pass. Is this true and are there better books?
The Pearson ones are good for Maths, specifically the workbook and practice paper ones I basically only used those for maths and went from a 5 to an 8.
They also do target workbooks, so you can buy the grade 7 one if you want a grade 7, and grade 9 etc. They have set work for you to do, and cover the topics at that level.
IItzRyan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by MimiSeneca)
Quite a few of the online resources are good, and give you the option to go more in-depth on the topics than revision books allow you to. They help get the higher grades.. I know that there are quite a few you have to pay for, like GCSEpod etc. But also free ones - there's one called Seneca launching that does it completely free, is exam board specific and gives you the info as well as testing you on it. Worth looking into when it comes out in March ?
But from the actual revision books, I've heard that CGP are the best !
thanks for the info
Hanky2222
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I used cgp books and got As in science and a 8 in maths.
Cod3tte
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am in Year 10, and personally, I strongly recommend the CGP books. The books get across the information in the most simple way possible, so they're easy to use for last-minute revision
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (277)
33.95%
No (539)
66.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise