Migrant Worker - Deferred Year of entry - Maintenance Loand Watch

pineapple55
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
hope someone will find a minute to answer my questions, I can't find any hint in the available sources.

I applied for an undergraduate student finance last year (Tuition Fee Loan as well as Maintenance Loan) as a Migrant Worker. Unfortunately I had to defer the year of entry on my chosen course to September 2018 in the last minute. Therefore on my SFE account I can see that 'payments are ready to be made'.

I come from a EU country and at the start of the course I will had been working in UK for 3 years. I've been in a continuous employment all this time but I will have to move to London to study which means I will be changing my work.
In consequence my earnings will be different than stated on the recent payslips which are required as evidence, as I'm starting a full time course I'll be able to work less hours, however I'm intending to work as much as possible. My questions are:

1) How should I apply for a Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loan this year? Is it possible to do it online or will I have to start the application all over again with sending paper forms and a passport?

2) How will my work situation will affect the Maintenance Loan? I wouldn't like to miss out on loan amount if it would be based on my earnings in time of application, not the time of studying. I'm planning to move and change the job a few months before the start of the course so I'll be able to send any required confirmation of the new employment.

3) How exactly does the amount of earnings affect the amount of Maintenance Loan? Although as I mentioned I intend to work as many hours as I'll be able to, I know the loan will be extremely helpful considering costs of living in the capital.

Thank you very much in advance !
John B SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pineapple55)
Hello,
hope someone will find a minute to answer my questions, I can't find any hint in the available sources.

I applied for an undergraduate student finance last year (Tuition Fee Loan as well as Maintenance Loan) as a Migrant Worker. Unfortunately I had to defer the year of entry on my chosen course to September 2018 in the last minute. Therefore on my SFE account I can see that 'payments are ready to be made'.

I come from a EU country and at the start of the course I will had been working in UK for 3 years. I've been in a continuous employment all this time but I will have to move to London to study which means I will be changing my work.
In consequence my earnings will be different than stated on the recent payslips which are required as evidence, as I'm starting a full time course I'll be able to work less hours, however I'm intending to work as much as possible. My questions are:

1) How should I apply for a Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loan this year? Is it possible to do it online or will I have to start the application all over again with sending paper forms and a passport?

2) How will my work situation will affect the Maintenance Loan? I wouldn't like to miss out on loan amount if it would be based on my earnings in time of application, not the time of studying. I'm planning to move and change the job a few months before the start of the course so I'll be able to send any required confirmation of the new employment.

3) How exactly does the amount of earnings affect the amount of Maintenance Loan? Although as I mentioned I intend to work as many hours as I'll be able to, I know the loan will be extremely helpful considering costs of living in the capital.

Thank you very much in advance !
Hi Pineapple55,

I can certainly give you some advice here.

1) If you didn't actually start the course last year, you can apply online for your funding but you would have to apply as a new student. This means you'd be required to send evidence again.

2) As long as you can provide:
- A work contract from your new employer.
- A letter confirming your contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which you work if this is not confirmed on your contract or if you're on a zero hour contract. This letter must be signed by a member of the HR department or your manager.
- 3 months payslips prior to the start of the course.
- Your most recent p60.

Your change of employer shouldn't be an issue when reapplying for finance in September 2018.

3) As a Migrant Worker, you are required to provide evidence of your earnings, but this is only to establish that you eligible for Student Finance. Your earnings won't be used when calculating how much Student Finance you'd be entitled to. We'd base the amount of Maintenance Loan you're entitled to on your parents (if you're under 25) or partner (if you're over 25 and live with a partner) income. Your own wages aren't taken into account when calculating your Maintenance Loan amount.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
pineapple55
Rep:
?
Thank you for your advice!

I forgot to add that I'm applying as an independent student - I am under 25 but I've been living alone and supporting myself financially for 4 years prior to the course (3 years in UK). How does calculating the Maintenance Loan work in this case?

Regards
John B SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for your advice!

I forgot to add that I'm applying as an independent student - I am under 25 but I've been living alone and supporting myself financially for 4 years prior to the course (3 years in UK). How does calculating the Maintenance Loan work in this case?

Regards
You're very welcome.

In that case, the funding would only be based on your own 'unearned income' which doesn't include wages. We'll use your income to assess your eligibility for Student Finance, but we won't use the income in the assessment of how much you receive.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
pineapple55
Rep:
?
Hi,
I need to make sure on another point and would appreciate your help. The online applying is not very clear if you're a new EU student, migrant worker and applying independently (supporting myself financially for 3 years prior to the course). The website indicates that I should apply on EU form by sending it via post (can't do it online) but last year when I applied that way my application was withdrawn without notifying me. Then I was told in my case I should apply on PN1 form by sending it via post along with the evidence. That one had been accetpted but as I mentioned before, I eventually didn't actually take the loan as I deferred year of entry at uni.

My question is: is there any way I can apply online and only send the evidence (although the website doesn't seem to offer this solution for this particular case)?

Also I'd like to ask, in regard of a Maintenance Loan for a migrant worker, independent from family and living alone - what could affect the amount of the loan offered being lower than the maximum available if I didn't have any unearned income which in this case the loan amount is said to be based on?

Thank you, really would appreciate a reply, all gets a bit confusing in this particular case when one tries to research online

regards

P.
Catherine SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I need to make sure on another point and would appreciate your help. The online applying is not very clear if you're a new EU student, migrant worker and applying independently (supporting myself financially for 3 years prior to the course). The website indicates that I should apply on EU form by sending it via post (can't do it online) but last year when I applied that way my application was withdrawn without notifying me. Then I was told in my case I should apply on PN1 form by sending it via post along with the evidence. That one had been accetpted but as I mentioned before, I eventually didn't actually take the loan as I deferred year of entry at uni.

My question is: is there any way I can apply online and only send the evidence (although the website doesn't seem to offer this solution for this particular case)?

Also I'd like to ask, in regard of a Maintenance Loan for a migrant worker, independent from family and living alone - what could affect the amount of the loan offered being lower than the maximum available if I didn't have any unearned income which in this case the loan amount is said to be based on?

Thank you, really would appreciate a reply, all gets a bit confusing in this particular case when one tries to research online

regards

P.
Hi Pineapple55,

When applying as a migrant worker as independent you will be entitled to the full package of support, when you are applying online you will complete the application as a migrant worker and not an EU student, migrant worker students must be employed and need to show evidence of this to get full support.

Thanks

Catherine
pineapple55
Rep:
?
Hi, I've found another question on my way of applying, hope you'll have a second to respond.

Is the additional Maintenance Loan (the £6000 normally based on the income) available to migrant workers at all? If yes, what additional evidence would be required?

thank you for your help!
P.
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I've found another question on my way of applying, hope you'll have a second to respond.

Is the additional Maintenance Loan (the £6000 normally based on the income) available to migrant workers at all? If yes, what additional evidence would be required?

thank you for your help!
P.

Hi pineapple55,

If you are acepted as a Migrant Worker you will be entitled to the same level of support as a home student.

That means you can be assesed on the household income for the 'Higher' amount of loan.

As you are under 25 years old that would be assessed on your parents household income.

To be classed as financially independent for the purposes of receiving Student Finance, students must have been supporting themselves financially for 3 years prior to the start of the first academic year of their course.

You indicated prior that you have been supporting yourself, you will indicate this on the application form.

We will request financial evidence to support your application for independent status.

Evidence can be in the form of:
  • P60's
  • Payslips
  • Self assessment tax returns

Thanks Rona
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed