Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    This has to be the worst thing ever to happen to me.

I was packing today. Looked at my passport and it says it expired in February.
    Regrettable, yes. but "the worst thing that ever happened" to you? You've led a very sheltered life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Regrettable, yes. but "the worst thing that ever happened" to you? You've led a very sheltered life.
    are you implying that is in some way a crime? she must have loads of money tied up in that holiday though...i hope you get your passport sorted soon Adhsur!

ReputationRep:

As some of you already know I planned to go to Disneyland Paris this Thursday - all the flights and accomodation and everything has been booked.

We phoned up the passport office and they say no one-day appointments are available at any of the centres. They advised us to get ourselves to Durham first thing tomorrow and there MAY be a chance but they can't promise anything.

Omg omg how horrible! Nothing is refundable either.
    tht is just like the *****iest thing tht could happen....eva! well mayb i'm over reacting but i'm jst imaginin me in tht position and how guttted i'd be.

ReputationRep:
    suggestions that there will be no passport control either entering France or returning to the UK is utterly false.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    suggestions that there will be no passport control either entering France or returning to the UK is utterly false.
    yeah, I got checked on the way there (I was on Eurostar) and THREE times on the way back, inclusing on the actual train... it was kinda unecessary.

ReputationRep:

As some of you already know I planned to go to Disneyland Paris this Thursday - all the flights and accomodation and everything has been booked.

We phoned up the passport office and they say no one-day appointments are available at any of the centres. They advised us to get ourselves to Durham first thing tomorrow and there MAY be a chance but they can't promise anything.

That's terrible!! :eek: If it makes you feel any better, the same thing happened to me and my brother when we were going to Spain a few years ago. It was a crazy day. We were lucky though, because we were able to change and book a later flight (originally it was 7am, in the end we went at 10pm!!). It was from Luton Airport. We had to go to Peterborough to the passport office to get ours done... and I think we even had to go all the way back to Portsmouth and up to Stafford too, all in the same day. It was mad!! If you've seen the movie Clockwise, well .. it was worse than that! But amazingly we got there in the end. The passport people were very nice and made a special exception in our case (because my parents' passports were fine and ours had only just expired).

I hope it all turns out good for you Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and incidentally, we got robbed in Barcelona the following week and lost all our passports :lol: I hope that doesn't happen to you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the encouragement people - I hope it gets sorted even without an appointment at the centre. Its a two hour journey to Durham so oh dear...I hope begging works. If not, bah!!!!

To those of you who said that you don't need to renew it as long as you renew it afterwards, could you tell me how that works?

And also, you think they really wont mind at the airport? You see, even if I was let on to go to France, what if I can't get back? That would be awful.

ReputationRep:
    omg, that sux. good luck. i didnt get to go on holiday this year either cause my passport expired.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the encouragement people - I hope it gets sorted even without an appointment at the centre. Its a two hour journey to Durham so oh dear...I hope begging works. If not, bah!!!!

To those of you who said that you don't need to renew it as long as you renew it afterwards, could you tell me how that works?

And also, you think they really wont mind at the airport? You see, even if I was let on to go to France, what if I can't get back? That would be awful.
    Why dont you phone them tommorow and see whether they can do it first?

ReputationRep:
    Does this sound it might work?

"Customers requiring these new guaranteed services must make an appointment by telephoning the UKPS Adviceline. We cannot guarantee to see customers without an appointment, but of course will continue to try to meet their needs whenever possible."

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Why dont you phone them tommorow and see whether they can do it first?
    They don't have a direct number. We phoned uk national passport advice and they said that the best they can advise is just turn up and basically beg for it to be done though they are not obliged to.

ReputationRep:
    Rushda that's pretty horrid i'm sorry best of luck at durham tomorrow. I would strongly advise you don't do anything dodgy like rely on them to not check, you don't wanna like like a fool, you don't want to be stuck in Paris, it could end up very very awkward.

ReputationRep:
    They don't have a direct number. We phoned uk national passport advice and they said that the best they can advise is just turn up and basically beg for it to be done though they are not obliged to.
    do you have travel insurance for your trip? other than e111 health insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    do you have travel insurance for your trip? other than e111 health insurance?
    Well kind of but only if its due to health...no cancellation insurance unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Poor Rushda. Let us know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    wow- that sucks, hope you get it sorted out Like a few people said, I don't know if i'd risk travelling on an out of date passport - it looks pretty dodgy

ReputationRep:

Try to get a Visa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Always look on the bright side of life.
    *whistles*

ReputationRep:
    Yay, all is well yippee yippee...

Am so exhausted and feel silly for all that begging but at least I have a passport now!!! :d

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.