The Student Room Group

Experience of mental health support at university

I am in my 5th year at university after retaking my third year twice due to anxiety and depression. The retakes were due to not being able to attend exams or had in assignments as I would procrastinate due to my anxiety and perfectionism making me feel overwhelmed and panicky. This has now happened in my first and second attempts at third year, and is heading that way this year. Due to my mental health issues and some ridiculous sense of shame I find it really difficult to ask for help so I have not had any form of long-term help other than being put on antidepressants. This year I did apply for DSA and was told I would be given a mental health trained tutor for this semester but I am struggling to get this put in place. My university is small and the head of my module is very aware of my issues. Some friends I have been speaking to have told me they think the university has let me down and that for them and people they know, support was put in place for them without them having to seek it themselves. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience of anything like this.
Reply 1
Original post by itslmulus
I am in my 5th year at university after retaking my third year twice due to anxiety and depression. The retakes were due to not being able to attend exams or had in assignments as I would procrastinate due to my anxiety and perfectionism making me feel overwhelmed and panicky. This has now happened in my first and second attempts at third year, and is heading that way this year. Due to my mental health issues and some ridiculous sense of shame I find it really difficult to ask for help so I have not had any form of long-term help other than being put on antidepressants. This year I did apply for DSA and was told I would be given a mental health trained tutor for this semester but I am struggling to get this put in place. My university is small and the head of my module is very aware of my issues. Some friends I have been speaking to have told me they think the university has let me down and that for them and people they know, support was put in place for them without them having to seek it themselves. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience of anything like this.

Hi. Sorry you've had such a struggle and are finding it tough getting support put in place.
I also found I had to sort everything myself (with some help from a student support person). My head of course wasn't exactly helpful with things either. Ironic since it was a teaching course and part of that was learning how to accommodate extra needs.

Is there anybody you could get to help you out? For me it was a huge help having my dad sort out a lot of the DSA stuff.

I've moved this over to Mental Health, but you might also find it helpful stopping by the Disabled Student's Forum (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=277) cos I'm sure a lot of people over there will have experience with uni support, even if not from the MH side.
Reply 2
There's always hope.
Mental illness can be treated. This means that many people who have a mental illness, and are treated, recover well or even completely. However, because there are many different factors contributing to the development of each illness, it can sometimes be difficult to predict how, when, or to what degree someone is going to get better.
Reply 3
Depression should be treated by combining medicines and psychotherapy. It's the most effective way of treatment. But the sad fact about depression is only one-third of the number of people suffering from depression actually seek professional treatment.

Quick Reply

Latest