Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've really always wanted to take a gap year to travel but I also want to do a year abroad whilst I'm in uni. Would it be possible to do both or do I have to just do one or the other?

ReputationRep:
    You can totally do both! I'm on a gap year now and i have place at uni in september that has a year abroad as part of the course, its just up to you whether or not you want to have 2 years abroad or go straight from school to uni, you would graduate sooner with no gap year (but i would recommend one!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dieless)
    You can totally do both! I'm on a gap year now and i have place at uni in september that has a year abroad as part of the course, its just up to you whether or not you want to have 2 years abroad or go straight from school to uni, you would graduate sooner with no gap year (but i would recommend one!)
    thank you so much!! i think i might do both then, for the experience you know?

ReputationRep:
    Same as @dieless I'm on a gap year now and will do a degree with a year abroad.

My gap year doesn't really involve travelling so it's different from a year abroad anyway

It will mean I graduate uni age 23 whereas some of my school friends (no gap year + no year abroad) will graduate at 21 but I don't think that's a major issue in the long term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittyN)
    Same as @dieless I'm on a gap year now and will do a degree with a year abroad.

My gap year doesn't really involve travelling so it's different from a year abroad anyway

It will mean I graduate uni age 23 whereas some of my school friends (no gap year + no year abroad) will graduate at 21 but I don't think that's a major issue in the long term
    thank youuu!!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do both! Taking a semester abroad while in uni shouldn't delay you from graduating as long as you are able to finish all your credits/ courses during uni! The classes you take abroad can count as credits towards graduation as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by travelersam85)
    definitely do both! Taking a semester abroad while in uni shouldn't delay you from graduating as long as you are able to finish all your credits/ courses during uni! The classes you take abroad can count as credits towards graduation as well
    aaaa yayy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by travelersam85)
    Definitely do both! Taking a semester abroad while in uni shouldn't delay you from graduating as long as you are able to finish all your credits/ courses during uni! The classes you take abroad can count as credits towards graduation as well
    This may be true of some courses or unis, but I haven't heard of this before in the UK. I'm taking modern languages, so all of the courses I looked at involved years abroad and so were all 4 years. With the exception of an MLang (so still 4 years), none of the courses I looked at counted uni marks from study abroad towards the degree.

I also didn't notice any where taking a year abroad didn't make your course longer. For a friend choosing to take a year abroad during a politics course, it also made her course longer.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.