The Student Room Group

Is it wrong that I am mixed but constantly find myself wishing I was white?

I am half Carribean English and half White English. In the UK people don’t usually treat you any different based on skin colour as long as you are British, but I often find myself wishing I was white(much to my disgust and guilt every time I look at my Dad), because culturally and personality wise I identify as white and my best and oldest friends and the family I know best are white, is this wrong?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Loki70
I am half Carribean English and half White English. In the UK people usually treat you any different based on skin colour as long as you are British, but I often find myself wishing I was white(much to my disgust and guilt every time I look at my Dad), because culturally and personality wise I identify as white and my best and oldest friends and the family I know best are white, is this wrong?

It's not wrong, but it's definitely not right. Do you live in a mostly white area? Go to a mostly white school? Maybe if you became for familiar with your black roots, you may begin to feel pride. Maybe try to become closer with your black family, as they are the ones who can help you best. You should be equally as proud of both sides of your heritage. Acknowledge the history and achievements of Black people, especially black British people. also, find some black friends.
Reply 2
Theres nothing wrong with not being white. Being British involves more than being just white, multiculturalism and accepting people from different diversities is what makes up British culture imo.
Absolutely nothing wrong with having your oldest friends being white just because you aren't. Just embrace your skin colour because I'm sure it's beautiful. You can still identify as whoever you want. At the end of the day it's literally just pigment in your skin. Learn to love your background but also feel free to love and identify with the things associated with white culture.
Hope this helps
You cannot change it, so you might as well get used to it.
Reply 5
I assume you live in an area with few black/Caribbean people so it may be more likely for you to be more indulged with white British culture which is fine, to an extent, but you should never negate the other half of you're being. Educate yourself more on the contributions and successes of Black Britons to society and try to get more in touch with Caribbean culture. I think you'll find it to be a rich, vibrant and ultimately proud culture. Proud of our food, music and history.
I am a Black British Caribbean myself and, whilst I love a good shepards pie or fish n chips, I also love my jerk chicken, curry goat, oxtail, ackee and saltish etc.

Have you ever tried these undeniably delicious foods? Do you listen to Caribbean music (soca, dancehall, reggae)? Are you aware of the struggles our ancestors had to overcome, from the trans atlantic slave trade to facing racism from Teddy boys and skinheads in the 60s, 70s and 80s in this country to fight for equality today? These are just some of the things that make me proud to be a black Briton.

Also, I'm unsure by what you mean by identifying as white "personality wise". Black Caribbeans (and white people) have a vast array of personalities so the way someone acts is not determined by race or ethnic origin.
Reply 6
Original post by HateOCR
Theres nothing wrong with not being white. Being British involves more than being just white, multiculturalism and accepting people from different diversities is what makes up British culture imo.

Lol, no.

If the British public like multiculturalism so much, why is white flight such a common phenomenon in every town and city that has seen high levels of immigration? Why do most whites (consciously or not) choose not to live in majority non-white areas? Just look at this map of London showing the distribution of the white population across the city. Notice anything? Like those vast areas where almost no white people live anymore?

(You can look for yourself which ethnicities make up the blank spaces now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London#Ethnic_breakdown)

Decades worth of opinion polls consistently show that the overwhelming majority of British people are opposed to immigration. The public never volunteered to become a multicultural society and I doubt they ever would have had we actually been given a say in the matter. Mass immigration and the resulting 'multiculturalism', was imposed upon us from the top down without consent, and now we all just expected to view it as one of our core 'values' and pretend we all love it, but deep down most people don't. I dare say even the non-whites don't really like multiculturalism, made quite clear by the fact they nearly always end up segregating into their own ethnic enclaves whenever their numbers become large enough.
Reply 7
I mean, who doesn't want to be white? :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Wōden
Lol, no.

If the British public like multiculturalism so much, why is white flight such a common phenomenon in every town and city that has seen high levels of immigration? Why do most whites (consciously or not) choose not to live in majority non-white areas? Just look at this map of London showing the distribution of the white population across the city. Notice anything? Like those vast areas where almost no white people live anymore?

(You can look for yourself which ethnicities make up the blank spaces now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London#Ethnic_breakdown)

Decades worth of opinion polls consistently show that the overwhelming majority of British people are opposed to immigration. The public never volunteered to become a multicultural society and I doubt they ever would have had we actually been given a say in the matter. Mass immigration and the resulting 'multiculturalism', was imposed upon us from the top down without consent, and now we all just expected to view it as one of our core 'values' and pretend we all love it, but deep down most people don't. I dare say even the non-whites don't really like multiculturalism, made quite clear by the fact they nearly always end up segregating into their own ethnic enclaves whenever their numbers become large enough.

Immigration and multiculturalism are different things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending