The Student Room Group

I want to break up but I’m not sure what to do anymore

Hello, so this might be a bit of a long story.

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 8 months now and we both always had mental health issues, but he was always the one that was worse. I luckily could usually deal with my issues myself as I am a very independent person and don’t like to ask for help. Mine were always just depression and some anxiety, but they didn’t show until the winter when it always gets worse. My boyfriend on the other hand has a lot, and I always knew that from the way he behaved but as an example, he recently got diagnosed with psychosis. He did stuff to himself before and every time he promised not to, then he did it worse a couple of months later, and now it got even worse as I just woke up to find out he spent a whole day at the hospital after trying to commit suicide (in public, which i have opinions on in general but I’m not going to go into them).

Now the relationship. I thought about breaking up with him before, probably late November was when I started to think that. If I remember correctly, I was overwhelmed by his issues and his behaviour and then I gave him some money as he was supposed to buy something for me that I couldn’t get myself and he just spent the money, including all the money he had left and he didn’t even realise that he spent it. Because it was supposed to be a Christmas present for my best friend, I was very annoyed and found him to be very irresponsible as I always knew to be careful with what I spend my money on. He didn’t give me back the money for over a month of me begging for it and it was a difficult time for our relationship as I felt I couldn’t trust him with simple things. Over Christmas there were some weird things happening too when he met my friends, and I didn’t know who to believe but I know of some stuff which was embarrassing to me as my friends felt uncomfortable with him. This just made my worries worse, and recently I’ve been going through some stuff and pushing him away, because that’s how I deal with things and I warned him about it before. It got quite bad with me and you could easily tell that I wasn’t okay from our conversations, but he didn’t help at all, or even try to help and that kind of hurts, I say kind of because to be fair I was pushing him away. Now I know that what he did was probably because of me (he always overreacts to issues which was another thing I couldn’t deal with, but i’m not sure whether this is an overreaction anymore, I’m a bit confused in general) and I feel like I can’t break up with him because of it, but I really feel overwhelmed by it and I don’t know what to do.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, so this might be a bit of a long story.

I’ve been with my boyfriend for 8 months now and we both always had mental health issues, but he was always the one that was worse. I luckily could usually deal with my issues myself as I am a very independent person and don’t like to ask for help. Mine were always just depression and some anxiety, but they didn’t show until the winter when it always gets worse. My boyfriend on the other hand has a lot, and I always knew that from the way he behaved but as an example, he recently got diagnosed with psychosis. He did stuff to himself before and every time he promised not to, then he did it worse a couple of months later, and now it got even worse as I just woke up to find out he spent a whole day at the hospital after trying to commit suicide (in public, which i have opinions on in general but I’m not going to go into them).

Now the relationship. I thought about breaking up with him before, probably late November was when I started to think that. If I remember correctly, I was overwhelmed by his issues and his behaviour and then I gave him some money as he was supposed to buy something for me that I couldn’t get myself and he just spent the money, including all the money he had left and he didn’t even realise that he spent it. Because it was supposed to be a Christmas present for my best friend, I was very annoyed and found him to be very irresponsible as I always knew to be careful with what I spend my money on. He didn’t give me back the money for over a month of me begging for it and it was a difficult time for our relationship as I felt I couldn’t trust him with simple things. Over Christmas there were some weird things happening too when he met my friends, and I didn’t know who to believe but I know of some stuff which was embarrassing to me as my friends felt uncomfortable with him. This just made my worries worse, and recently I’ve been going through some stuff and pushing him away, because that’s how I deal with things and I warned him about it before. It got quite bad with me and you could easily tell that I wasn’t okay from our conversations, but he didn’t help at all, or even try to help and that kind of hurts, I say kind of because to be fair I was pushing him away. Now I know that what he did was probably because of me (he always overreacts to issues which was another thing I couldn’t deal with, but i’m not sure whether this is an overreaction anymore, I’m a bit confused in general) and I feel like I can’t break up with him because of it, but I really feel overwhelmed by it and I don’t know what to do.

No matter what his good qualities are, then it seems you cant cope with everything else that comes with him.
You dont seem to have enough energy to split up with him at the moment and there might be an emotional backlash from him?

I suggest you do it in two stages. Just tell or show him you are having a bad time and you cant cope, so you need time apart to get well. Give it 3 months, then see how you feel. If you are in a better frame of mind by then, then you can just say youve decided its not working out an you feel its better for you both to be apart.

Being in a relationship should be better than being single. At the moment then that diesnt seem to be the case for you. If you do the time apart thing, then that gets you some peace and half way to splitting up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending