The Student Room Group
Reply 1
nope! Most people don't drive at uni, at least they don't round here! There is only limited parking for cars anyway, so there is little availability. Plus things tend to be within walking distance :smile: So that's one less thing for you to worry about!
Reply 2
Guess it depends where you're studying. If you're in a place like Oxford, then you definitely won't need a car, everybody I know uses the buses/walks/taxis. I don't think many unis have a lot car parking spaces for students anyway.
Reply 3
Nope, seeing as my friends who have got cars here find parking a nightmare and same goes for my friends in other universities, it's all extra expense as well when you're a student anyway having a car at uni, for petrol and things.
Plues the people I know who have cars end up being a taxi service sometimes as well.:p:
Reply 4
I'm paying £500 for a parking space for the coming year, lol :P

It's a lot BUT.. I'll be going to hospital placements, the travel costs incurred are reimbursed (at a fixed rate for drivers) to include petrol money and maintenance, so that'll help with the parking.

I've no intention of using my car to get around Sheffield (except perhaps for a big supermarket shop for our flat or something, or maybe a big outing to Meadowhall), but I would certainly miss the freedom of being able to make bigger journeys when I want. It also means I won't have to worry about booking ages in advance to get cheap trains home. :smile:
Reply 5
It depends where you're going. I'm at Durham, and it's virtually impossible for first years to get parking permits unless they have a specific reason for getting one, and parking in town's difficult. Everywhere here's within walking distance really, so there's no need, and as others have said, cars are expensive to run.
Not really a neccessity more like an added bonus. It may be good to learn before you go to uni as due to the New Drivers Act you are only allowed up to 6 points on you're license for the first 2 years. which means do 34mph in a 30 twice and you can kiss your license goodbye!

If you are at uni during those 2 years and not driving there are no worries about the probationairy period!
I didn't know that many people with a car at uni, then again I was at Aberystwyth which is tiny so you don't need one really. Parking spaces on campus are impossible to get unless you're in halls on campus and have a permit (in Aber anyway). It'll be cheaper just getting the train to places you want to go.
Reply 8
I keep at car in Durham, I don't *really* need one but it's useful for lugging heavy books to/from the library, doing food shopping (no decent supermarket in town) and lugging stuff up and down the country during the holidays. I live in outer London and it's much nicer to drive than to negotiate the trains with loads of luggage!

I'll add that at Durham it's very hard to get a permit from your college, you are technically supposed to have one if you are living out but I didn't bother...I don't see it as any of the college's business if I have a car when I'm not living on their premises. I have a permit for parking on my street however, from the council.
Reply 9
Criminologystudent
Not really a neccessity more like an added bonus. It may be good to learn before you go to uni as due to the New Drivers Act you are only allowed up to 6 points on you're license for the first 2 years. which means do 34mph in a 30 twice and you can kiss your license goodbye!

If you are at uni during those 2 years and not driving there are no worries about the probationairy period!

If you get caught. I'm sure I've gone slightly over the speed limit before without realising.

Latest

Trending

Trending