The Student Room Group

Caught going over 45 on R plates?

Hey i was driving from dublin to belfast on the A1. I was passing under a bridge and there was a police car stopped on the bridge, i assume with a speed gun. I was going about 55-60 on a 70mph road but had R plates on. Is it likely i will get points for this? and how long does that take?
For the majority of the time, if it’s a police car with a speed gun, they’ll pull you over to give you a ticket. They can just retain the information and sent a ticket through the post but this rarely happens.

The gun would have simply picked up your speed, and not the R plates. The police officer would have needed to have seen them which I doubt he had, or again, would have probably pulled you over. I think you’ll be ok this time
Guns pick up your speed, they turned a blind eye to you as they'd have followed you immediately if they wanted to give penalize you. Most of the time the Garda aren't doing that job to catch people like you out, they're looking for the idiots doing 100 in a 70, not the odd kid that's under the road limit anyway whilst on restriction plates. It's the same system in England. They won't pull me over if they gun me doing 75-80 on the motorway but 95-100+? yeah I'm getting chased.
Reply 3
Thanks, hopefully that will be the case, i will know in a few weeks i guess. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending