The Student Room Group

King's College London queries

Hi, I've recently started looking into KCL after having gotten an offer to study psychology there, and I'm having some trouble deciding whether or not it's the place for me! I love its location, but I've heard that London can actually be a very difficult place to settle in to if you're quite timid and reserved (like me). I've also read reviews from some students saying that they didn't really feel that they were part of a cohesive community because the uni is so spread out, and that worries me a little! I'm also looking into Royal Holloway, which has a lovely community feel, but the only thing holding me back with that one is the fact that it's very isolated compared to KCL. If anyone could offer experience from KCL (or RHUL) that would be really helpful!

Thanks
Original post by ayylmao100
Hi, I've recently started looking into KCL after having gotten an offer to study psychology there, and I'm having some trouble deciding whether or not it's the place for me! I love its location, but I've heard that London can actually be a very difficult place to settle in to if you're quite timid and reserved (like me). I've also read reviews from some students saying that they didn't really feel that they were part of a cohesive community because the uni is so spread out, and that worries me a little! I'm also looking into Royal Holloway, which has a lovely community feel, but the only thing holding me back with that one is the fact that it's very isolated compared to KCL. If anyone could offer experience from KCL (or RHUL) that would be really helpful!

Thanks

Hi ayylmao100,

I was an international student from the United States, so I understand how important location is. When I was looking at universities, I was drawn to Royal Holloway because it was a campus university but still on the doorstep of London. I often went into the city to see theatre, visit galleries or just to have a day out with friends. For me, having access to the city while also having a campus environment was really important. I'd recommend finding what your priorities are and how you'd like to spend the next three years.

I've always found it really useful to chat to as many current students as possible to get their opinion about the university as well. You can chat to some of our current students on our website here to ask them any questions you might have about Royal Holloway.

If you have any questions, please just let me know!

Susana :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi ayylmao100,

I was an international student from the United States, so I understand how important location is. When I was looking at universities, I was drawn to Royal Holloway because it was a campus university but still on the doorstep of London. I often went into the city to see theatre, visit galleries or just to have a day out with friends. For me, having access to the city while also having a campus environment was really important. I'd recommend finding what your priorities are and how you'd like to spend the next three years.

I've always found it really useful to chat to as many current students as possible to get their opinion about the university as well. You can chat to some of our current students on our website here to ask them any questions you might have about Royal Holloway.

If you have any questions, please just let me know!

Hi Susana, thanks for the reply!
I've already been chatting to students from RHUL and I've heard some really positive things - it may or may not be my first choice uni (especially since my offer is unconditional if I firm). Like I said, I'm a little worried about the location especially since I have the option of KCL which has such an incredible one in the centre of London. I've heard from students that that it's pretty easy to get into town by train, is this really the case? And did it ever feel a little isolating or claustrophobic living in Egham? I don't mean to sound negative but I just want to find out as much as I can because if I firm RHUL then I'm pretty much obligated to go there! Any feedback would be really helpful, thank you!
I've already been chatting to students from RHUL and I've heard some really positive things - it may or may not be my first choice uni (especially since my offer is unconditional if I firm). Like I said, I'm a little worried about the location especially since I have the option of KCL which has such an incredible one in the centre of London. I've heard from students that that it's pretty easy to get into town by train, is this really the case? And did it ever feel a little isolating or claustrophobic living in Egham? I don't mean to sound negative but I just want to find out as much as I can because if I firm RHUL then I'm pretty much obligated to go there! Any feedback would be really helpful, thank you!

Have you tried visiting both universities? A lot of it is about personal preference about where you want to live. They're both excellent for psych.
Reply 4
Original post by iammichealjackson
Have you tried visiting both universities? A lot of it is about personal preference about where you want to live. They're both excellent for psych.

Hi, yeah I've visited them both already (I've been to King's twice and I'm going to applicant days for both of them soon) and I really liked them both (though I think I got a friendlier vibe from RHUL). To be honest I'm not sure where I'd rather live - I'm quite shy so I don't really want a crazy busy social life but I also don't want to be stuck on campus with nothing to do! Do you have experience of either of these places? Thanks!

Hi ayylmao100,

It's great that you've already been engaging with our current students. Egham has four trains that run every hour so it really is easy to get into London. Because it's so easy, it never felt isolating and there are plenty of shops and restaurants in the local area and surrounding towns such as Windsor and Staines.

On top of our transport links, the campus is surrounded by a lot of woodland and next to the Windsor Great Park and Virginia Water Lake, which are great for walks and picnics. I used to go to Virginia Water Lake to grab an ice cream and pass the day dog watching with my friends.

I think that Royal Holloway really can be the best of both worlds if you let it. I know it's a big choice to make, so please let me know if there was anything else I can help you with.

Quick Reply