The Student Room Group

Calories

How does one convert calories to fats? And how many fats are in 1860 calories? Its for a school project.
Reply 1
A rule of thumb.

1g fat = 9 calories
1g protein = 4 calories
1g carbs = 4 calories

Unless you ate a solid lump of fat then I don't think those 1860 calories would solely consist of fat, but just do the division.
Reply 2
Original post by Alex Fierro
How does one convert calories to fats? And how many fats are in 1860 calories? Its for a school project.

Apparently, there is around 9 calories in a gram of fat.
So you are looking to have around 206.7g of fat for 1860 calories :smile:
9 kcal per gram of fat, 4 kcal per gram of protein/carbohydrate iirc. Of course, calories themselves don't mean anything
Original post by UWS
A rule of thumb.

1g fat = 9 calories
1g protein = 4 calories
1g carbs = 4 calories

Unless you ate a solid lump of fat then I don't think those 1860 calories would solely consist of fat, but just do the division.

Thank you. This is helpful.
Original post by Kraggor
Apparently, there is around 9 calories in a gram of fat.
So you are looking to have around 206.7g of fat for 1860 calories :smile:

Thank you! VERY helpful!
Original post by shawn_o1
9 kcal per gram of fat, 4 kcal per gram of protein/carbohydrate iirc. Of course, calories themselves don't mean anything

Thanks
Original post by Alex Fierro

The numbers that other posters have provided are correct. For the purposes of your project, you need to be precise about the terminology and words you use.

What I mean is, you do not "convert calories to fats" nor are there a particular number of fats in 1860 calories. You can though work out the amount of fat in grams that would provide 1860 calories. Sorry to be nitpicking!
Original post by Chirpychops
The numbers that other posters have provided are correct. For the purposes of your project, you need to be precise about the terminology and words you use.

What I mean is, you do not "convert calories to fats" nor are there a particular number of fats in 1860 calories. You can though work out the amount of fat in grams that would provide 1860 calories. Sorry to be nitpicking!

Its fine, and thanks for the explanation!

Quick Reply

Latest