The Student Room Group

thoughts on underage drinking ?

im 15 and a lot of my friends drink , im not going to deny I havent but what are everyones thoughts on it ?
Reply 1
I drank in the house from when I was 13. Used to get bought so many tins a week and could sup them Friday or Saturday as long as I stayed in and did it under the watchful eyes of the parents. Was sound for me, watch the rugby and that and have a tin.

The result was I never did the drinking crappy cider on the park thing and was in the pub not much log after that with me aul fella. So if done right, it doesn't bother me at all.
Reply 2
At home or in the pub with responsible adults? No harm as long as it's only a very small amount.

At the park with your mates? Just a bit sad and pathetic.
If you're sheltered all your life before getting total freedom, recipe for short term crazy. Alcohol has a forbidden fruit complex so getting over it and used to it in minimal amounts makes it less of a big deal when you become of legal age. My friend partied really hard during her second year of A Levels after turning 18, she wasn't ever allowed to drink before then but the new-found freedom ruined her grades
Original post by Anonymous
im 15 and a lot of my friends drink , im not going to deny I havent but what are everyones thoughts on it ?

15 is pretty young to be drinking and it's a good thing that you don't follow in their footsteps. Drinking from such a young age can have a detrimental affect on your adult life.
I’m ok with some drinking beer, providing it’s not frequent and they don’t have shitloads in one period. However spirits should be avoided until 18, even then it’s still very dangerous. My issue is that people think they can’t say no to alcohol, I’ve turned down drinks before and people respected my decision(parents showed their disapproval at times but I didn’t care). Trouble is most 15 year olds don’t care, and I for one blame society for this, kids don’t know about alcohol until they’re introduced to it
Reply 6
I had my first sizable drink at around 14, if I recall correctly. From a purely logical standpoint, it is inadvisable. Alcohol certainly has adverse effects on brain functioning. However, if you are already very smart, a little bit of booze won't ruin it, even at a young age. That's my personal experience anyway. If you are a dumbass, then you will be so with or without booze, so who cares, right..
i lost about 10% of my brain cells by age of 19. fortunately i had about 20% more than average to start with so no biggie.
Reply 8
Original post by BrianMcEgg
I’m ok with some drinking beer, providing it’s not frequent and they don’t have shitloads in one period. However spirits should be avoided until 18, even then it’s still very dangerous.

I've never quite understood this differentiation. I think I've always been able to sit and sip a nice sherry, whisky or rum. Sure, don't go giving your child vodka shots, but a glass of something mellow to be sipped? Has no more alcohol in it than a glass of beer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending