37.5%
No, stay in (5)
62.5%
2Trees
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Should I drop out of my Law Masters degree? I paid £10,800 for the one year course and if I leave by Wednesday I'll get 60% back.

My grades for last semesters modules which I got back today are 60, 62, and 39 (**** sake), so that's 53% for the entire semester when I was aiming for a 2:1 or 60%. I don't fit in with the people, I'm way out of my depth, I barely managed to get a 2:1 for my Bachelors degree classification, I'm at risk of losing another 7 months of my life and about £6,500 that I could claw back and maybe go travelling like I've always wanted to.

Should I admit when I'm out of my depth and just call it a day and drop out?
Daniel00
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
youve got this far, why not get your head down and not give a **** about othere and finish it, you might regret not finishing it later in life
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its a professional degree if you graduate with 62% overall thats a masters 2 :1 thats worth way more then getting 6k back.....

The people are so irrelevant lol thats not even a reason imo.

Who cares you need the qualification your 50% there, dont tell me there werent tough times at bachelor...

Where are you doing your master ?
2Trees
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daniel00)
youve got this far, why not get your head down and not give a **** about othere and finish it, you might regret not finishing it later in life
It's the fact that I don't fit in with the level and standard of other people. There's a few people who own their own company and a few who are lawyers, I work part-time in retail.

I seriously tried to put things right but the 38% I got on an essay worth 80% seems to be the breaking point. I honestly tried so hard and thought it was a great essay, but as it happens it was absolutely atrocious.
2Trees
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Its a professional degree if you graduate with 62% overall thats a masters 2 :1 thats worth way more then getting 6k back.....

The people are so irrelevant lol thats not even a reason imo.

Who cares you need the qualification your 50% there, dont tell me there werent tough times at bachelor...

Where are you doing your master ?
Yes but I might not even get a 2:1, at this rate I'll be lucky to get a 2:2 as I'm completely lost by the semester 2 material.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 2Trees)
Yes but I might not even get a 2:1, at this rate I'll be lucky to get a 2:2 as I'm completely lost by the semester 2 material.
i just started semester 2 today....still undergrad at Nottingham, how far along are you? why did you get such a bad grade? Law is pretty straight forward but it is a working mans subject ie they work you to death as far as i know (i do management). However maybe just get your mind right and tackle it, i got through a maths module last semester despite never getting more then a C at gcse level maths.
2Trees
Rep:
?
i just started semester 2 today....still undergrad at Nottingham, how far along are you? why did you get such a bad grade? Law is pretty straight forward but it is a working mans subject ie they work you to death as far as i know (i do management). However maybe just get your mind right and tackle it, i got through a maths module last semester despite never getting more then a C at gcse level maths.
I'm in the second week of semester 2. They said it didn't answer the questions, which I'm pretty sure I did, I maybe made it a bit subtle though. I've been focusing on pretty much this so it's not like I just didn't try.
PrettymuchGod
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
From my understanding getting a lower grade (pass) is better than obtaining a 2.2/2.3 during bachelors as employers are usually just happy you have an MSc. That said given you already have a bachelors degree there is no bad option here.
So basically if you want to drop out because you are worried about the grade, I say just stick with it.
If you want to drop out because you are not enjoying your time doing it then it might be best to drop it.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm in the second week of semester 2. They said it didn't answer the questions, which I'm pretty sure I did, I maybe made it a bit subtle though. I've been focusing on pretty much this so it's not like I just didn't try.
isnt a masters generally something like 40% exams and 60% thesis ? couldnt you just write or *purchase* a great thesis and bring up the mark ?
2Trees
Rep:
?
(Original post by XOR_)
From my understanding getting a lower grade (pass) is better than obtaining a 2.2/2.3 during bachelors as employers are usually just happy you have an MSc. That said given you already have a bachelors degree there is no bad option here.
So basically if you want to drop out because you are worried about the grade, I say just stick with it.
If you want to drop out because you are not enjoying your time doing it then it might be best to drop it.
I don't think a 2:2 overall would mean much, if anything. Getting back £6k means I could do something else for a while, I seriously can't see how I'll motivate myself for the entire 2nd semester AND 10,000 word dissertation.

I think I'm beat tbh, I'm all for pushing on but I also need to know when to call it a loss and move on.
2Trees
Rep:
?
isnt a masters generally something like 40% exams and 60% thesis ? couldnt you just write or *purchase* a great thesis and bring up the mark ?
Sadly that's one think I was considering, but if I get caught I'll probably end up with a criminal record and lose my Bachelors as well.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sadly that's one think I was considering, but if I get caught I'll probably end up with a criminal record and lose my Bachelors as well.
There are really reputable sites that do it just do some research. Or find a tutor to pay to help you, man bang out that thesis and your golden. That 6k isnt a financial sum worth thinking about, in the grand scheme of money that is peanuts. That masters degree can give far more financial worth in the long run, forgive the economics lingo here but imo you need to give up the effort and take it as an opportunity cost for long run earnings..You will get so much more enjoyment getting that masters then getting 6k back, think of all the people you have told you are doing a master... its just not worth dropping out of.. master, year one of a bsc is one thing

but the master is a finishing toughh worthwhile qualification to fight for imo.
Dannyboy2015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What you should do is decide how much you want a masters in Law.

Take maybe a day out to think about it. If after that you decide that you want it then focus on it and spend every free moment available to you on your degree, ensuring that you get a better grade at the end of it all.

Otherwise, sure drop out go travelling for a little bit and then go back to your retail job and reevaluate. You could always complete the masters at a later stage in your life if you wanted to.

Of course the smart thing to do would be to decide what you want to from your life and do everything within your abilities to make that a reality, as opposed to asking strangers on forums what you should do with your life. Because if you ask me what you should do, you should send £100 to my bank account every week for the rest of your life. :P
PrettymuchGod
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seriously, this is your advice...
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OP, where did you do undergrad and where are you doing master's?

Your disso will be the largest chunk of your grade, most likely. A good disso can bring up your average significantly; that 39% is 80% of only one module.
2Trees
Rep:
?
Well it looks like I'm not going to drop out as I'd need to have the process finished by tomorrow which will probably be impossible, so I guess I'm stuck here either way so I might as well carry on.

I've just accepted to lower my expectations and try to see a 2:2 Law Masters degree as a good qualification either way, it may not be the best and it's a significant drop down from 2:1 but I'm hoping it'll still help me stand out.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by XOR_)
Seriously, this is your advice...
having a fail stop perspective always gives hope, my goal was to give hope not necassarily make a feasible suggestion just trying to help... he obviously shouldnt do this.
PrettymuchGod
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
having a fail stop perspective always gives hope, my goal was to give hope not necassarily make a feasible suggestion just trying to help... he obviously shouldnt do this.
Aight, thanks for clearing that up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.06%
No - I have already returned home (21)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (35)
21.74%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.47%

Watched Threads