Maria Mimi
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What is the difference between a ratified law and a law that passed by the Congress?
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
If you're talking about ratified treaties, they are only passed by the senate whereas laws have to go through both chambers. Also, treaties are proposed by the executive only whereas statute law can be proposed by the executive or members of Congress.
Maria Mimi
Rep:
(Original post by umbrellala)
If you're talking about ratified treaties, they are only passed by the senate whereas laws have to go through both chambers. Also, treaties are proposed by the executive only whereas statute law can be proposed by the executive or members of Congress.
I don't mean the treaties, I meant laws and acts when we say for instance:' a law passed by the Congress' is it the same as a ratified law or the ratified is final and the passed by Congress is waiting for being ratified?
umbrellala
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maria Mimi)
I don't mean the treaties, I meant laws and acts when we say for instance:' a law passed by the Congress' is it the same as a ratified law or the ratified is final and the passed by Congress is waiting for being ratified?
You wouldn't typically use the word 'ratified' for normal statute law. You can only ratify a treaty.
Maria Mimi
Rep:
(Original post by umbrellala)
You wouldn't typically use the word 'ratified' for normal statute law. You can only ratify a treaty.
Thank you so much.
umbrellala
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
*Correction, if you're talking about constitutional law, they are all ratified by the states as well as being passed through Congress. Sorry I just put 2+2 together with your other constitution thread haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.74%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.87%
Revision guides (19)
5.05%
Past papers (172)
45.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (14)
3.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed