Maria Mimi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does the US have only one constitution that applies all over the states or each state has its own constitution and if so can this constitution conflict with the US one?
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is only 1 US constitution that applies to all states
Maria Mimi
Rep:
?
(Original post by umbrellala)
There is only 1 US constitution that applies to all states
Great, then what about the segregation laws during the Jim Crow era that were applied only in the southern states like this one “No colored person shall serve as a barber [to] white women or girls.” (Georgia law) .where does this law belong to?
umbrellala
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Maria Mimi)
Great, then what about the segregation laws during the Jim Crow era that were applied only in the southern states like this one “No colored person shall serve as a barber [to] white women or girls.” (Georgia law) .where does this law belong to?
Jim Crow laws were not a part of the constitution. They were local state laws.
NamesAreEffort
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
States have their own constitutions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...United_States))

The Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land though so it always takes precedence above state constitutions. There's no conflict as far as state constitutions, but conflict does exist between state and federal law though.
Maria Mimi
Rep:
?
n
Jim Crow laws were not a part of the constitution. They were local state laws.
So each state has its own local laws.Who made these laws, the local courts or whom? and do they still apply and if not how did they remove them?
Sorry for these many questions, and thank you so so much.
Maria Mimi
Rep:
?
(Original post by NamesAreEffort)
States have their own constitutions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...United_States))

The Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land though so it always takes precedence above state constitutions. There's no conflict as far as state constitutions, but conflict does exist between state and federal law though.
Thank you so much. But who does make the state constitution laws, the state court or whom?
umbrellala
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Maria Mimi)
n

So each state has its own local laws.Who made these laws, the local courts or whom? and do they still apply and if not how did they remove them?
Sorry for these many questions, and thank you so so much.
The state legislatures would have passed these laws. I'm not a history student (I'm a government and politics student) but I'm fairly sure they were abolished by the Civil Rights Act 1964 since the CRA overrode the Jim Crow laws. Although any history people please correct me if I'm wrong.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Each US state has its own government, legislature and courts. Each one is in effect a mini-country.

But the US itself has its own government, legislature and courts which supersede state laws (in certain matters).
Maria Mimi
Rep:
?
The state legislatures would have passed these laws. I'm not a history student (I'm a government and politics student) but I'm fairly sure they were abolished by the Civil Rights Act 1964 since the CRA overrode the Jim Crow laws. Although any history people please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you so so so soooooo much, U made me happier.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (13)
38.24%
I really love the subject (11)
32.35%