Turn on thread page Beta

Getting somewhere with my GCSEs watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm Emily, I'm a fifth year student I am currently studying my GCSEs. I really want to become a photographer when I grow up, but I really enjoy ICT and all that jazz. Outside of academia, I enjoy music, playing the ukulele and tin whistle (although I stopped playing full time 2 years ago) and listening to vinyl/CDs, photo editing, taking photographs, using my Polaroid camera, roses, the colour yellow, Sabrina Carpenter, The Beatles and so much more. I am on the old legacy CCEA GCSEs, meaning I still have coursework and letter grading. Below I have my future ambitions and grades:

English Lang - a C or B, mostly due to how much I struggle with the class. I'm sitting on a C already, and am currently waiting for my results on Paper 2 which I sat earlier this month.

English Lit - a C at least por favor, reading is so hard for me and my teacher seems to refuse to accept the fact that I don't understand the content, I can barely read a page from a book and I don't know how to spot techniques as well as the girl sitting beside me. Mrs just sees me as 'lazy' when in reality she is causing me stress and making me feel like I'm worthless

Maths - already have my C so dropped out of trying to get a higher grade lololol. I now have 4 study classes per week which helps me get ahead of everything and lessens the homework load for when I'm home

Learning for Life and Work - now this subject covers stuff like work, the environment, how teens today are growing up, the world around us and things that are useful in life. I really want to get a B in this class as it is so easy, though I'd be aiming for an A if my last piece of coursework wasn't marked incorrectly bringing me down to a D.

Religion - ideally a B would be good, but I messed up Paper 1 so badly, despite it being 'do you agree or disagree'. I am aiming high for Paper 2 as it means I will have the opportunity to potentially take it as an A-Level

French - I will easily get a B or an A in this class due to how it is structured. We just need to memories 5 paragraphs for either speaking or writing, do the test and then forget about it for the rest of our lives. It's one of my higher-tier GCSEs and I feel confident in the class as a whole.

History - aiming for a B but currently sitting on a C. I got a C in the foundation Paper 1 and have just completed the coursework for it on Friday. I am most likely taking Paper 2 due to how the questions are worded, but a really good piece of coursework means I can be brought up to a B.

ICT - I got a B in the exam and my coursework is currently waiting to be marked. We do not learn how to code and mostly have been using Database, Word and PowerPoint. I know for definite I want to carry on doing IT as a level 3 course (which is all my school offers), as well as Moving Images and Media.

Single Award Science - Aiming for a B - got a C in the physics foundation paper (which was 100%) and am currently working towards getting a B in the chemistry higher paper (got a D in foundation but I know the exact question I lost out on). I am doing higher Biology and completed coursework which I feel super confident in.

I really want to become Head Girl of my school in upper sixth year, mainly so it looks good on my CV, and also to have a sense of control. I was in the student council up until this year and really enjoyed it. Next year I really want to study ICT, Moving Images and Media as they sound fun and only MI is an A-Level.

I mean, AMA, and I'll try to reply. Paz y amor, Emily.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi Emily! best of luck with this! Photography is amazing and would be a lovely career :yep: sounds like you're very creative! What sort of photography do you like?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I completely forgot to write that I love roller skating! I used to do it more often though, but since the rink I went to burned down I haven’t been able to do it as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    [30 January 2018]
    I am currently sitting in my ICT room doing coursework for Life&Work instead of doing PE as there are more important things than a class which has no exam. The subject as a whole is boring me right now, especially due to how repetitive it becomes. The coursework is due on Thursday but I spoke to my teacher as I may need to get an extension by a few days due to my migraines and other stuff stopping me from working. Quelle ennyeux!

I also had French class last, we are working towards our writing exam with 4/5 paragraphs covered. I can't wait for it to be over as we will just focus on learning vocabulary and working on ways to memorise key words. I managed to get finished before the entire class so I had 10 minutes to myself

English second class was just going over poetry and learning that the English department have had their paper budget cut in half as they were printing the most out of all of the school. I hope they opt for more eco-friendly options in the future.

History! We started the Cold War today after finishing our coursework on the Black Civil Rights Movement. I find the Cold War more interesting than Germany or Ireland, probably due to it's worldwide impact, but who knows anyway?

I have maths next and it's just another free class. I'll definitely be working on getting my LLW coursework completely finished and working on anything else I'll need to do.

That's all for now, ciao.

ReputationRep:
    This is honestly one of the very rare posts on TSR where someone aims for B/Cs rather than straight A*s or 9s like the usual TSR user does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    This is honestly one of the very rare posts on TSR where someone aims for B/Cs rather than straight A*s or 9s like the usual TSR user does.
    I would love A*s but honestly unless you're super smart, it's a bit unrealistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JedEmily)
    I would love A*s but honestly unless you're super smart, it's a bit unrealistic.
    I wouldn't say super smart, just smart in general which a good number of people out here(including myself) aren't unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    [January 31 2018]

Currently in Maths class, the class are learning about powers and indices while the girl next to me and I are doing LLW coursework. I have to hand my coursework in on Wednesday and I barely have any left to do .

LLW: Just worked on coursework and annoyed my teacher, but he was also annoying me.

History: We were told what we have to do for homework/revision. Once I go home I will learn the key terms and definitions, Yalta & Potsdam and then test myself. Ill have to update later on how I'm getting on with the learning, and possibly upload a photo of me doing work at my very messy kitchen table ,

English: Had the class last, learned Wagtail & Baby, got told the homework was to highlight a page and watched my teacher print a load more pages lol.

I'll have to update later, ciao for now.

ReputationRep:
    Science: we covered the next biology chapter & worked out who is the tallest/smallest. We barely take any notes down in the class but I think it’s because we do more with practical work.

Home: made my lunch as soon as I got in, and got right down into history notes. I’m feeling confident with the learning & I’m sure I’ll do great in the exam if this continues.

I still have to post on my Instagram account, I currently have a theme based on Fall Out Boy’s new ‘MAN I A’ album. But my studies come first - now onto English Lit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Today has been a great day! I printed off about 15 past papers to get prepared for Chemistry next month and handed up my coursework for LLW.

French: we worked with the French assistant on our next paragraph. Homework was to finish the paragraph and hand it up tomorrow.
    Name:  5981316D-B4CE-4C57-BE27-78D24197F7C2.jpg.jpeg
Views: 93
Size:  26.2 KB

English: we covered An Inspector Calls and we weren’t set any homework for it. We also got quotes from the play and jotted them down in our books.

LLW: spent the class printing out past papers for chemistry.

ICT: mostly database work and my teacher is the year head for second years so the class were entertained by a very disruptive child😆

Religion; we started chapter 4 in our textbooks and had a practice run over what we will be taught tomorrow in front of the principal.

Extra Chemistry: started another past paper, went through it, discovered that I really cannot do basic maths that well.

As soon as I got home I made my lunch for tomorrow, sat straight into homework, din dins, shower and now I am doing a chemistry past paper to try and get myself used to the format again. I’ll practice ukulele after this and then have an episode of Derry Girls to watch tonight! 🙈
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    **subscribes to thread**

:ninja:

I like Inspector Calls.:love:

And Yalta & Potsdam is a fascinating piece of history.:daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    [February 3 2018]
    Yesterday I couldn’t post because my leg pains came back and I didn’t do any work, but I worked on my ukulele, cleaned my skates and took photos on my Polaroid
    Name:  45F59EC8-2EE7-4F40-B471-BCBC8978C54E.jpg.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  41.6 KB
    Name:  1D006689-2962-4B46-8E50-6241BDEAA36A.jpg.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  38.6 KB
    Name:  E509D1E0-6EFC-42F9-8184-9EAE685DD913.jpg.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  34.1 KB
    Name:  76FA3F3A-C2B1-46C7-83EE-38F9BBA11BA8.jpg.jpeg
Size:  41.5 KB
    My principal was watching our religion class yesterday and it was so strange! For the first time we didn’t talk during class, we didn’t pack up 10 minutes early & worked straight into the Bell ringing for break. Definitely don’t want to do all that again!

So far today I have completed my religion homework, completed a chemistry paper and have learned a bit of the course. My history teacher clearly stated what we have to test ourselves on and I can’t remember what else we have to do other than key terms 🙃

Later this evening I’m gonna do some work upstairs and practice ukulele. I might go out for ice cream as I’m dressed like I’m about to go out, so why let the outfit go to waste?

ReputationRep:
    Desk tour!
    Name:  BB02C240-D4AA-4609-AE4E-1A6DB6D56AA6.jpg.jpeg
Size:  30.2 KB
    From left to right - a blk water bottle that’s been emptied, washed out and repurposed with stones and flowers, surrounded by little cactus and shell tea lights. Next are my books for the day, my jars and cup holding my stationery, my history book, my Polaroid and photos and an Arizona Tea bottle surrounded by the same tea lights as my other bottle with fake flowers for decoration.
    Name:  28C8689E-8205-449B-8CFC-0E43A3432818.jpg.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  33.3 KB
    Wall: Sabrina Carpenter, my trip to Disneyland and usually my Ultimate VIP lanyard. I took it down for some reason and just haven’t put it back up yet lol.
    Name:  B1EFF04F-0EB2-46DC-B5D7-A1E362976323.jpg.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  31.0 KB
    Under my desk I store my ukulele, backpack and whatever shoes I was wearing today, which just happen to be my Black Dr Martens boots!
    Name:  D0376A7B-DBA4-4152-BD6D-A611739E2917.jpg.jpeg
Size:  38.6 KB
    Bonus: my roller skate! These have been my pride and joy since I was about 10 or 11.

ReputationRep:
    I wish you all the best for your GCSEs! I’m also doing my GCSEs through CCEA which has its pros and cons however I do believe coursework is one of the biggest advantages, especially for ICT and Technology.

ReputationRep:
    [i can’t remember dates]
    The past few days I been working (and sleeping) a lot. I began making proper flash notes for classes & completed more chemistry papers.
    Name:  2F9317F1-9F3E-423E-AC42-DCF4B9D76752.jpg.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  37.9 KB

Religion: we covered equality again and worked on our ‘homework’.

ICT: databases n stuff.

Science: we learned about evolution & Darwin.

Maths: the class covered bounds, I learned chemistry.

LLW: started the next section Citizenship

ReputationRep:
    [February 8 2018]

Final day before midterm! I have got my hands on a study timetable to plan what I'm going to do over the next week. My main priority will be chemistry as the exam is on the Thursday we start back.

French: Handed up our final writing piece to be marked and given to us the first class we have her. The French assistant wasn't in today sadly.

Maths & PE: I stayed in science and worked on my chemistry past papers.

ICT: Worked on our coursework again.

LLW: We are moving on with Citizenship.

Extra Chemistry: I'm in until 17:15! :unimpressed:I know it'll be worth it in the end, but just the thought of not getting home until maybe 17:30 is killing me! Me muero no puedo.

Once I go home I'll start making more biology notes, organise my study timetable and get ready for the doctor's tomorrow,

ReputationRep:
    Well I spent the weekend doing every single piece of homework given to me to do over the break just so I could spend the entire week studying for Chemistry!

Saturday I worked from 10am-10pm on my ICT coursework from scratch (with food breaks ofc) simply because my password for school was expriring on Sunday and it's impossible to reset it from home.
    Sunday I worked 9am-9pm to finish English homework (which I did horribly in and if I get into trouble for not having 'enough detail' I really couldn't care less, maybe the teacher could understand the exact phrase 'I am struggling' for once!), history homework questions I was stuck on from before, religion homework and biology homework. I also finished putting the entire Biology course on flash cards so I am covered for the future.

Today so far I have completed 3 chemistry papers & am planning to complete more. Currently I'm taking a break, scrolling through TSR and listening to Sgt Pepper on Vinyl (it must be my most played one as I have it on every single day + listen to the CD every morning on the way to school oops. Oh, and I have a themed lava lamp of it). I also need to practice ukulele for the day so I'll have to do it after dinner.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, I spent all of last week doing Chemistry, around 3 papers a day after every meal. I'm currently sitting in ICT and my teacher isn't in so it's a semi-free - aka scroll through TSR for an hour and pretend your work is being done!

Some pretty important things happened last week:
    -Opticians appointment, meaning I got new glasses
    -I deleted over 10 thousand photos off my phone, most of my camera just consists of concerts and my dog, and a lot of band memes since I started a new Instagram account.
    -Billie Joe Armstrong (the lead singer of Green Day) replied to my message! I really couldn't believe it, especially as he is someone I have looked up to for years and is 93% of the reason I swear too much and get involved in protests n stuff for anything that's not right.

And now as we are back in school, half of the school are off as they thought today was the Monday we get off (to be fair today is the 19th and the day we get off next month is a Monday and the 19th), so I've been able to avoid some people.

I'm waiting for lunch to run round to my LLW teacher and give him up all of my coursework (I had to reformat a section). I'm bloody glad that it's all over. My maths teacher is back in today and the class aren't that happy tbh, the cover teacher was better and he would always ask how we are and stuff. Science we started chapter 5 and were told we have to make flash cards as homework - so none for me! I have careers next and we probably won't do much. My after school plans are ukulele, past papers, Wattpad (I'm not gonna give away my username as my account is more for my friends to read my works) then bed. I might spontaneously curl my hair later for school.

I'm at a crossroad with this. My school has a principal, 2 assistant vice principals (one does art and one does HE) and one child protection person who kinda does some vice principal level stuff. The vice principal who is also an art teacher is open to the fact that I wear badges that are not related to school and he really likes this, and so does the child protection person (I mean I did walk up to her and she spotted my badges before even saying hello). The other two are 100% against this, and every morning the principal (I call her Gomez) is at the front door inspecting everyone who comes into school. She demands I take them off or I'm getting a phone call home (my parents wouldn't care anyway, they're the ones who paid for the badges). The other VP doesn't really care as they don't have statements that are bad or offend. My year head doesn't care and no one else gives a flying damn. So should I just ignore Gomez? She's retiring at the end of the year so she hasn't got that much power.

ReputationRep:
    [Friday 23 February]

Oh boy, I can't wait for the day I type 'Friday June 8'! That's the day of my final GCSE! Summer really cannot come sooner. Today I got out of bed at 7:45am which is earlier than usual considering I only get up at 8. I also got to school at 8:21am meaning the principal was at the door greeting everyone . I grabbed some breakfast in the canteen on top of what I already brought to eat. The same happened at lunch - I have just been so hungry recently! My form teacher really wasn't well this morning and had to go home after first class . I also got to witness what was probably the best fight break out in the halls while heading to first class - I love Fridays!

i c t
    Today we finished our database -finally! - and printed out the coursework to hand up. My teacher gave us the last 20 minutes of the class to do whatever so I chose to show the girl beside me the top I ordered from Urban Outfitters. (if you wanna see too: https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/en-g...sale&color=010 ). I found out she's gonna save for a new iPad as her one is dying (just like mine!) but I just said I'm gonna ask for a new one for Christmas as it means I don't have to go out and get it myself, and also my parents don't have to worry over what to get me.

r e l i g i o n
    We have been watching 'Of God and Men' for the past 2 classes as we were talking about religions co-existing or something. I've enjoyed it so far & we will finish it on Monday!

e n g l i s h
    We worked on 'An Inspector Calls' once again. If I hear my English teacher say 'you need to learn these quotes' once more I will slam-dunk myself onto the floor! I have explained so many times that I barely understand the play or that I can barely read the pages, but she keeps insisting I'm 'not working enough' or 'you are just trying to get out the easy way' when I probably have something wrong with me? All of my other teachers can clearly see me struggling & offer as much assistance as they can.

m a t h s
    The class had a test today on simultanious equations and I just worked on my French writing

f r e n c h
    We had to do a past listening paper (not yay) :rolleyes: and then just worked on our writing.

Right now I'm in bed because the house is so so cold! I also really hurt my knee today & have treated it to try and numb the pain. If it continues to Monday I'll probably go to a doctor and ask for medical advice or something. I'm listening to Violetta songs on iTunes and prepping myself for my weekend studying. I rarely do work on Friday afternoons due to other commitments & also wanting to catch up on anything I have to watch (Drag Race I'm looking at you ).

I mean, that's all really.
    Paz y amor,
    Emily.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi :hello:

I've read through all your posts (does that sound creepy? :ninja:) and you sound so cool!
    Omg Sabrina Carpenter:love: I love pastel highlighters too :five:
    Your desk is awesome! (I wish mine could be as organised :lol:)

I'm glad I didn't take French. :yes: We're both doing An Inspector Calls! :five: if you need any help with it, let me know (I'll certainly try and help anyway!)

Keep it up!

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.